The Promised Land


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sawtell
March 13th 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We were out of bed early as the sun shone in the clear blue skies and Des and Janelle were waiting for our morning call for another day of trips and fun. Today we were taken South to see Valla beach and then to Hungry head where we stayed to do yet more bodyboarding, but this time Des supplied me with a rash vest, ah no more pain on the chest. Here I caught some of the best waves I have ever had the joy of riding, it was incredible and SO much fun. Des and Janelle were happy enough to sit in the shade and enjoy their spare time reading etc. and the it was back in the van towards an area in the mountains called 'the promised land' where we stopped for a spot of lunch this time provided by us with our lovley ham and cheese sandwiches?! It was another lovely place where the water from the mountains ran down a small pebbled stream surrounded by tall trees of all varieties i.e. palm trees etc. Then we were on to Raleigh winery where we stopped for half an hour or so to try some of the local vino. One of which was a brandy cream, that was their take on Baileys, but a lot sweeter and a bit thicker made with fresh dairy cream, very nice though. They took us to the local Coles (supermarket) in Toormina next to Sawtell, where we picked up burgers, sausages, rolls and some VB beer for a cheapo BBQ back at the caravan park. I ate far too much a felt awful for the rest of the night and got to bed fairly early in preperation for our trip to Byron Bay.
So here I am sat at Des's computer where I have been sat now for nearly 2 hours, looking out of the window at the local neighbourhood with palm tree lined streets. In 50 minutes we catch the bus to Byron Bay where we plan to stay for 5 days and have heard amazing things about the place!!! We tried to buy Des and Janelle a bottle of wine but they refused, so we snuck out and bought a card and flowers to say thanks as they have been truely amazing and have done more than we could have ever imagined in order to make our stay here both active and thoroughly enjoyable!! I can only express thankyou in so many ways so to all the McDermid's THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!


Advertisement



13th March 2006

WOW THATS NOTHING!!!
Si Your last few blogs have been absolutley amazing, just like your Michael Palin days in NY. You have been so lucky with your new family, you certainly owe Scotty a few. If you can think of a way we can reciprocate over here in blighty let us know. As you desribe the weather and the scenery, the beaches and the atmosphere its only right that I attempt to redress the balance with thoughts of home. This morning we were having our drains unblocked as the old pipes had finally succumbed to tree route damage. As I gazed out of my office window, just as you had described you were doing, I could see two frozen workmen covered in camouflage "browns" wrestling with the contents of our sewer pipe. I was tempted to open the window to capture the full flavour of the event, but it was a little cold so I passed on that pleasure. Having a "pass" was something I was then to be prevented from doing for the rest of the morning, otherwise they would have had warmer feet than they wanted. The sleet then started to drift in, like dandruff caught in the ultra violet lights of a Manchester night club. The men blessed their good fortune and offered words of praise to the great weather god in the sky. Our elderly neighbour, Doreen, looked somewhat preplexed by these new biblical terms, but smiled that benign smile that only she can, and returned hurriedly indoors to move papers around as only she can. I carried on with my work as strange sounds surrounded me, most were from outside but several were from inside as my constrained bladder and bowels struggled with their enforced redundancy. Its like having to be quiet in a concert, or similar event, all you can think of is coughing, well the same applies to enforced constipation, nothing else seeems to matter. At lunchtime Mum returned home to relieve me, literally, as I dashed to work to attend to pressing business. The evening ended as the day had begun with driving sleet and rain mixed to perfection in a cocktail of rare beauty, as it forced itself down the back of my neck as I locked the factory gates. The dark skies overhead beckoning me to join the excited throngs heading for the unparallelled delights of the M66 on a Monday night in early March.It must be hard for you to contemplate the days ahead when you realise what you are missing, and I can only apologise for painting such a rosy picture but you can't hide the truth. Keep up the good work, may your rangs boom and your kangs roo, and toss one on the barbie for us willl you. Best wishes from me and her.
16th March 2006

SOUNDS LIKE UR HAVING FUN BIG SI
HI SIMON, ITS BRUTUS JUST READING THROUGH ALL UR JOURNALS...SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HAVIN FUN....TRIED EMAILING A FEW TIMES BUT THATS DEAD...BEN UR MATE HELPED ME FIND YOU.... I,D LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR VALUED WORK WITH VIDEO ETC FOR THE SITE...AND IF YOU TAKE A LOOK U WILL SEE ALL YOUR WORK PRESENTED IN THE PROPER MANNER.....LOVETRAIN IS DOING FANTASTIC MANCHESTER IS PACKED...WERE DOING A TOP GIG FOR THE NEW BOND GIRL AND BREIL WATCHES IN LAKE COMO ITALY..AND ALSO BEEN ASKED TO DO A TOUR OF CHINA....ROCCO SAYS HELLO...CHECK OUT UR WORK ON THE SITE MATE...AND SPREAD A FEW THREADS TO IT....BEN JUST LOOKED AT IT AND SAID ......AMAZIN!!! www.brutusgold.com

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb