Travel Hiccups & Hugs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Paterson
September 1st 2014
Published: September 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

(Time & technology have delayed sending this post -- read: "Having too much fun!")



August 30 - After spending 10 months planning for our trip, we arrived at the airport to find we needed a visa to get into Australia. Yikes!! Fortunately, they’re easy to get. It was, however, just a little disconcerting and heart-stopping. I couldn’t help thinking, “How did we miss this, and what else have we missed?” (I think every traveller has this thought, hopefull that's all it is.)



August 31, 2014 – A day forever lost to us. (We figure we'll have a wake for it when we get home.)



September 1 - Fifteen and a half hours later, we touched down in Sydney where we were greeted by David’s enthusiastic “rellies” – Judy and Mal. Judy is David's first cousin on his mother's side. She and her husband, Mal live in a lovely heritage home just outside of Paterson, NSW. The home was built in the early 1800’s and has an interesting history. The first owners, Lieutenant Federick Bedwell and his wife, named it “Valentia Lodge’ after his Godfather, Viscount Valentia from Spain. As only the fourth owners, Mal and Judy have cared for this home for 22 years -- restoring, renovating and rejuvenating. (more about this in the next post,)



Judy is an artist (again, more of this later) and Mal has a horticultural business, or as Mal so eloquently puts it, “We hoe it, sow it, mow it, grow it, till it or kill it.” They have harnessed their combined talents and have left distinctive marks in and around the property.



Mal has spent years shaping the land around the lodge (well, as much as nature will allow.) Thousands of rainforest trees and plants from a variety of mostly native species have been planted on the 10-acre property. The resulting view is what dreams, or in Judy’s case, art, are made of. The centre of the property contains a billabong that changes with the seasons as it floods along with the land for miles around, and then retreats in the drier season. This oasis attracts a variety of wildlife including possums, kangaroos, and a plethora of bird life.



More photos below. To enlarge photos click on photo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BlissBliss
Bliss

Mal & Judy relaxing on the deck in their bit of heaven
The BillabongThe Billabong
The Billabong

The Billabong with Judy's "tinnie" (or floating artist studio) on the shore
Bliss times fourBliss times four
Bliss times four

Mal, Judy, Michele & David enjoy the view from the veranda of Valentia Lodge


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb