A Kilometre of Dental Floss


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
December 13th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 401


Apart from a brief nightmare which woke me in the early hours, we had a relatively peaceful night, but then Susan let the two city dogs out at 5.00 this morning, which created a stir with the farm dogs, so, our morning wake up call was to howling, just like the Hounds of Baskerville.

Andy brought me a cup of tea at 7.00 this morning, for which I was truly grateful, I sat in bed to drink it before joining the hive of activity in the kitchen, a feast for breakfast was being prepared, Helen on the bacon, eggs and tomato and Susan was making pancakes.

Well, breakfast was yummy and we feel truly spoilt, but Susan had to hit the highway to get back to Canberra and Andy had plans for Helens pantry, in other words it needed completely emptying, shelves wiped down and anything too old thrown away, anything that goes back sorted into nice little areas. Andy mentioned that he found some dental floss, not just one pack, but several and calculated that there must be over a kilometre in dental floss, so enough to last a while.

I decided to stay out of the way so went to clean the bathroom put some washing in the machine, get another load on the line and sweep the floors, every now and again popping my head round to monitor progress.

At some point Robert appeared with Wally, Trixie and Jack, as Trixie was lying down I could see her belly, but I could also see what looked like a nasty cut, Robert said that she must have done it yesterday when she ran off after a fox.

On closer inspection it actually looks like she has taken the top layer of skin off complete with the fur in other words she has scalped her belly! Leaving a large nasty patch of bare skin exposed, however she seems to be not bothered by it, she is after all a tough working dog.

Robert cuts off a piece of skin that is hanging, I thought she may need to visit the vet, but I am not sure that the vet could do anything more than what Robert has already done. With some antiseptic cream applied Trixie returned to her lying down position only to find that Wally decided he liked the taste of the antiseptic cream and wanted to lick it off.

Poor Trixie, her first major injury, but it was not gained in the line of duty, she was off having fun and look what happened. Robert told us that both Wally and Trixie ran off chasing the fox, he actually lost them both, eventually they reappeared looking none the worse for wear, but of course that hid Trixie’s injury. I have decided not to take a photo of her injury because it is really nasty and if any of you are squeamish it is not a pleasant sight!

Before lunch the pantry was clean and tidy, a proper order has been restored, lots more sorting had been done and there was more clear space.

We indulged in a light lunch, due to our big breakfast and of course we did not want to ruin dinner tonight either.

Andy and I popped down to Nangus Post Office (yes it is Sunday and yes they are open!) we had a stack of mail and a few parcels for Helen to send and a few Christmas cards to send to England, with that done we headed back, gave
Nargoon WinneryNargoon WinneryNargoon Winnery

Lots of social interaction
Wally, Jack and Trixie a fuss, especially the wounded Trixie which now seems to be taking its toll on her usual bubbly self.

I grabbed the dry sheets from the line, Andy helped me make the bed and then we crashed out, I tried to do a Sudoku but my eyes were heavy and soon succumbed to the temptation of a nana nap.

Half an hour later I left Andy to carry on snoozing, when I appeared in the kitchen I see Helen and Robert, Robert had also had an afternoon nap, most unlike Robert as he is usually out from Dawn ‘til Dusk! Helen tried to have a nap but the phone interrupted that!

I now needed to do something that I have not done in a while and that is iron some clothes, yes that dreaded iron word, we are off out for Christmas dinner tonight with Helens school so we both need good clothes tonight and our good clothes have been shoved to the bottom of our cases for the best part of a year!

With the ironing done, I showered and got ready, we were all out of the door by 6.10
Nargoon WinneryNargoon WinneryNargoon Winnery

The Christmas Table
and headed off to Nargoon Winery in Gundagai. Helens colleagues and their partners were mostly assembled.

Nargoon boutique winery is family owned and based in an old shearing shed, which has been restored and part of Kimo Station. Helen had warned me earlier to wear trousers and long sleeves, as we would be eating outside, I see a table that has been beautifully decorated with Christmas decorations and crackers.

We buy a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, it is lovely and refreshing on this hot summer day. After we all chatted for a while we went and sat outside as dinner was ready. We are the only group of people here tonight, they are usually closed on a Sunday night and have opened especially for this group.

The meal was delicious, it seems also that some others were having a meal tonight, the mosquito’s were attacking my feet, I am grateful that Helen warned me to wear trousers and long sleeves even though the evening is nice and warm.

We had a lovely evening with everyone, a great meal and even better great wine, we realised it was getting late, but there was no pressure from
Nargoon WinneryNargoon WinneryNargoon Winnery

Dinner Guests, Robert in the festive Spirit
the owners to leave, there was no great big hint like getting their pyjamas on and standing round in the background in anticipation.

We headed back to Nangus and onto Woodstock, the black velvet sky was amazing tonight with an abundance of stars, Andy and I stood outside with the binoculars to see what we could see, it is amazing to see so many stars even with just a set of binoculars.

Before we headed to bed, Andy took a rolled up newspaper and went round to “chat” with the dogs and tell them that if they barked they would have a tap on the nose from the newspaper (although I cannot see Andy getting up in the middle of the night to do it!), apparently they all sat there as good as gold as if butter would not melt.

It was gone 11.00 so well past our bedtime we fell into bed exhausted.

I awoke just before midnight, Tiny had started barking but it did not last long, she must have remembered the warning and fell quiet, none of the other dogs joined in, so we could be in for a peaceful night.

Until
Nargoon WinneryNargoon WinneryNargoon Winnery

Track Winding Back, wine
tomorrow, another busy day ahead of us, things to do, places to go and people to see, goodnight!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

HelenHelen
Helen

A lovely picture of the equally lovely Helen.
Nargoon WinneryNargoon Winnery
Nargoon Winnery

The Out Buildings
The Woodstock CrewThe Woodstock Crew
The Woodstock Crew

Andy, Caroline,Helen and Robert
Bronwyn & ChrisBronwyn & Chris
Bronwyn & Chris

Bronwyn is Principle of Nangus School
Nargoon WinneryNargoon Winnery
Nargoon Winnery

Dinner Guests


14th December 2009

loving the bag
glad to see u enjoyed the winery, that wine is some of my favourite. ps - love the bag caroline
17th December 2009

where is Nangus????
"Whereis" is gunna get a workout!!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb