Increasing velocity


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nambucca Heads
September 24th 2012
Published: September 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Pam's pet KookaburraPam's pet KookaburraPam's pet Kookaburra

One of a family of 4 that visit daily
Next stop after Rocky, was the thriving little community of Tannum Sands, which has a symbiotic relationship with another adjourning community known as Boyne Island. The local footy (rugby), bowls and golf clubs are known as ‘BITS’ Golf etc. Quaint. BITS is just a little south of Gladstone and the tropic of Capricorn, and as with most Queensland coastal areas is a great spot for fishing – if you have a boat. As with most Queensland coastal areas it also boasts a healthy population of sandflies. It seems that just when you think you have got over the little blighters, more itchy red spots appear on any exposed limbs.



We by-passed the next lot of twin towns of 1770 and Agnes Waters, and headed for Hervey Bay. One of Margaret’s old family friends lives there and we took a couple of days here to relax (like we need that) and catch up with her. Hervey Bay is the main point of departure for visitors to Fraser Island with many whale watching tours leaving from here and is quite a large town with many ‘suburbs’ stretching along the wide bay beaches. The caravan park we stayed in is one
View to the coast from MontvilleView to the coast from MontvilleView to the coast from Montville

In the hinterland behind Noosa
of several owned/run by the local council and as a consequence it also appeared to be a thoroughfare for the locals/tourists to access the beach. G was not at all happy about that and was concerned for the security of the van and contents for the first time on any of our travels.



As we were there on the weekend, Marg had made up her mind to eat out at one of the many local restaurants that were close to the van park. Any excuse is a good excuse! Sadly when we set out on Sunday night with our bottle in hand, they were all shut except for an ‘all you can eat for $16’ Chinese. Very ordinary, but it was too late to go back and defrost something in the caravan.



Hervey Bay to Tewantin is a relatively short hop of approximately 185 kms and Marg was now very keen to see her sister. Geoff was also keen to get there as he had booked the car in to have the radio/communication system fixed on the basis that it would take 4 days to get a new one if it was proved that
Minnie Water beachMinnie Water beachMinnie Water beach

Yes, it is singular. Another day in paradise
we were right about it not working (since Exmouth approximately 5000kms back). The car went in and there was good news and bad news… yes the radio had a fault but, it would take 12 days to get a new unit from the supplier in Melbourne. Just as a comparison, it only took 6 days to get the new suspension arm for the caravan from Melb to Darwin and that is probably more than twice the distance!! Oh well, at least they will confirm that the system is broken when Geoff talks to the dealer in Melbourne.



Geoff has now been officially taken the title of “unluckiest” fisherman in the country when his brother in law Allan, who is a professional fisherman, took him to the place where he moors his off-shore boat and you can see the fish swimming around underneath. You might be able to see them, but it doesn’t mean you can get them to bite into your bait. We tried everywhere in Noosa, but Geoff had managed to scare all the fish away. Allan has sought refuge on the beach at Fraser Island before Geoff’s bad luck rubs off on him.



Niki flew into Brisbane from Port Moresby and Kim from Melbourne on Friday afternoon and evening and were up here for dinner on Friday night. We had a lovely time with them over the weekend and made the obligatory trip to the Eumundi market on Saturday morning for breakfast and then some serious shopping. Niki has been finding it very difficult to buy any furnishings for her apartment in Port Moresby and flew back home this morning with six large dining room seat cushions, 4 couch cushions, and a multitude of other household items. It is marvellous how vacuum bags can squash up things to nothing.



The weather has been so kind to us for 99%!o(MISSING)f our trip around Australia, but last night it poured with rain and today it is rainy, cloudy and cool. Certainly not a beach day. Marg has gone to the beach once whilst here in Noosa and even had a swim. This afternoon Kim and Geoff are going fishing. If his luck holds Geoff will not catch any. We are hoping that Kim’s fishing ability/luck is better and they will come home with dinner. Sadly, it would appear that G can infect anyone with his “nilfishyious” disease and again there was nothing to put on the table that night.



We have bid farewell to Pam and Allan, and left Allan to catch all the fish. We had a great time catching up with sister/sister in law and brother in law and all the family. It was good to sleep in a house for a short while as well. We left Tewantin and headed down the Bruce Hwy, through Brisbane and stopped early at a caravan park in Ballina about 90 kms south of the Qld/NSW border. It was a great run on a dual/divided highway for most of the way and not a single traffic light to be seen. The car trip computer showed an average of 15.3 lts/100 kms – wow that is good for us!



As you can probably tell we are well on our way back to home and this will be the second last blog from us on this trip. Lucky you…




Advertisement



24th September 2012

The wine is on ice and the heater vent, respectively.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb