Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
February 1st 2011
Published: February 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Was time to carry on up the coast to various beach side towns.

Wednesday 19th Jan- Had a walk down to the harbour, the hostel was half way between the town and the harbour so the location was perfect. Walked out to the nature reserve and along the jetty before having lunch on the beach. Then walked the length of the deserted beach which was beautiful. Made it back to the hostel just in time as there was a huge thunderstorm. Paul, Lindsey, Katy and Beth left the hostel for the bus station and me and Danny stayed another night. It was pizza night at the hostel so had pizza and played cards with some people at the hostel before bed.

Thursday 20th Jan- Got up at 5am to catch the early bus to Byron Bay. Waited at the bus stop for the hostel pick-up then went and checked in to the hippy arts factory lodge where the staff were all really friendly and although it was a 10min walk from town and a 20min walk from the beach they have a shuttle bus that runs into town. Had a huge pool as well as tepee's you can choose to stay in. Had a walk around the town which was really nice full of small shops, cafe's and restaurants and then walked down to the beach which was beautiful. Had to change plans for the weekend and the start of next week due to transport issues so decided to go to Nimbin for two nights and then head back to Byron on the Sunday night. When I got back to the hostel there was a guy called Henry in my room and we went for some food at the hostel cafe then some drinks at the Brewery and Bar in the car park of the hostel where there were some live bands on.

Friday 21st Jan- Everyone said you only really need a day in Nimbin but Byron accommodation was a lot more expensive than there so caught the shuttle to Nimbin and checked into the hostel which was set on lots of land with great views, also had a room to myself so planned to spend two days doing nothing but chilling out and reading. Had a walk around the town which was one small street with some very hippy shops and cafe's. Went to the candle factory which had some really unusual candles all handmade. There was no one around at the hostel so had an early night.


Saturday 22nd Jan- Had a lie in and then spent the afternoon in a cafe having coffee, lunch and reading the papers. Still very quiet at the hostel so had another early night after watching some of the tennis. Felt really chilled out and relaxed and ready for the week ahead.

Sunday 23rd Jan- MY BIRTHDAY- Went for breakfast with a guy who was at the hostel and then chilled out at the pool before going back into town to catch the shuttle back to Byron Bay. Got back to Byron and back to the same hostel, was an annoying German guy in my room so avoided him. Played volley ball, I was on the winning team but was rubbish and the French guys on my team were probably cursing me in French!! Went food shopping and then when I got back to the hostel Nat and Luke who we had met in Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour were at the hostel. After dinner went for drinks at the Beach Hotel and Henry came along too. Then went to Sebastian who works at the hostel's house for drinks so ended up being a better Birthday day than I had expected.

Monday 24th Jan- Had a bit of a hangover so spent the morning in bed before heading down to the beach where I spent the afternoon sunbathing and swimming. When I got back, went to the pool and got talking to an English guy and two Aus girls from Perth. In the evening sat chilling out at the hostel with Luke, Nat and two other guys. Watched the open mic night, got a free henna tattoo which looks pretty good despite the fact I smudged the top bit. Then went to Cheeky Monkeys with the two guys and met up with the Aus girls, had a bit of a dance before going back to the hostel.

Tuesday 25th Jan- Had a lazy morning then took a walk to Cape Byron in the afternoon. The first part was a bush walk followed by amazing views of Tallow Beach before heading up to the lighthouse. From there I saw dolphins and manta rays swimming below. Then went to the most easterly point in Australia before walking back to Main Beach via rainforest and beaches. Also saw the amazing house that was featured on the Phil Spencer Channel Four programme. Layed on Main Beach for a while and had an ice cream before doing a bit of shopping and having dinner. Chilled out at the hostel with Luke, Nat and Danny before Beth and Katy arrived and bought me Birthday presents which I opened.

Wednesday 26th Jan- Australia Day- It was Australia Day which is a public holiday and celebrates the day the first British Explorers claimed Australia from the native people, it is therefore named invasion day as well. We went to main beach with Beth, Katy, Nat, Luke and Danny. Weather was amazing but loads of people were getting stung by bluebottle jelly fish so had to be careful when going in the sea. Went back to the hostel late afternoon and went over to the Buddha bar where there was a flood relief fundraiser with a BBQ, a band and a raffle. Had a few drinks and some food before getting ready and drinking at the hostel before heading into town. We wore Australia t-shirts and Australia flag transfers. One of my birthday presents was a grabber that old people have to pick things up instead of bending down and I had to take it out and pinch bums with it so it made for a funny night. We went to the Beach Hotel before going to Cheeky Monkey's and dancing the night away.

Love Byron Bay, it is so relaxed there and the beaches are beautiful.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb