Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
October 17th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wed 22nd
We thought we were going to have another day at the library but at 11.30 I phoned Chill Backpackers to find out if our rego had arrived for the van and we were in luck. So off we went 72k up the road to Brisbane and then back down to Byron Bay as we were not having any luck in Surfers. We stopped at Coolangatta for a night as there was some good surf and we learnt about the divide from New South Wales and Queensland. When day light savings comes into place New South Wales will be an hour ahead of Queensland which is really strange because its literally a step into each state. The lady at reception told us that if she was to go out for a meal she would have to wait an extra hour as Queensland are a hour behind.

Thurs 23rd
Waking up to the sun again, now that felt good. Also having a nice hot shower was bliss!
We had a look around the samll town of Coollangatta and went to our favourite place 'McDonalds' to try and get on their Wifi but as usual it was so slow and we left.
Near Coollangatta there is a place calle Point Danger, this is what Captain Cook name it. From this point we saw so many hump back whales with their young, teaching it to do the tail splash ad spraying out of the water.
Mum and dad surprised me by ringing which was lovely!
We parked up by Rainbow beach and had some tea and sat out by the side of the van in our camping chairs watching the world go by. I looked 92 years of age because I had my snuggle blanket wrapped around me like a little old woman would.

Fri 24th
Morning surf! How cool..... living the dream baby.
After this we had a coffee for breakfast then travelled to Byron Bay. We arrived at Byron and parked up at the side of the road where it said FREE parking all day. We had some lunch and just as we were getting up to go a man came out of his little hole and gave us grief and told us we cannot park there and put all of our shit out. So he was going to take our number plate and report us to the rangers, who we have found out are very strict and will not let anyone sleep on the side of the road. We were not sleeping there we were having some lunch and getting ready to wallk in town.
We went into Peter Pans who told us that Cheeky Monkeys normally need more staff so we walked up there and spoke to Mojo and she need a cleaner so Nath was in luck!!!
We then walked down the street to find a notice board with a double room for rent for $130 a week. When we went to view it there were 13 people living in one bungalow and with a tent and a caravan outside that the owner sleeps in. People in the house were really nice, I had never been in a house share before but there is a 1st for everything! My first to question was 'who does the cleaning'? To be honest the place was a shit hole and I couldnt wait to get my hands on it! They dont even have a key for the place or even our bedroom door. That night we had a few glasses of goon and chilled out with our new house mates.

sat 25th
Nath had his RSA exam today, which he passed! This took all day.

Sun 26th
Woke up with a cold! Yes a bloomin cold in OZ. Didn't do alot apart from chill and then went into town to upload the pics onto the blog. We then met Terry in town as he came in from Surfers. I think I have been to more different countries with Terry than I have with some of my best mates at home lol. We just can't get rid of him.
We saw an ad for a house share which we took a look at but it was quite a way out of town and the guy was a bit weird and look like he could have blown his top at any time. We went back to our house share and I cooked spag bowl for the three of us.
I helped Lauri with her CV ( she is french Canadian )because her English is not that great and written on paper is worse so I helped her to translate this. In return of helping her she gave me some throat sweets and some Ibruprofen.

Mon 27th
Nathan's first day at his cleaning job. He started work at 9am this morning so I spent the day with Terry for company. We tried to find him a wetsuit as he wants to go surfing and we think that going in without a wetsuit will be too cold!?
Nath finished at 2pm after complaining it was slave labour and pulling a muscle in his shoulder! he he now you know who does the cleaning in our house.
That night we went to the Buddah bar and watched a talent show, and one of the guys who played on the guitar was amazing. We didn't stay long coz i felt like crap!!!

Tues 28th
I dropped Nathan to work and then went with Lauri and Ling to find a house but there was not anything out there.

Wed 29th
We found a spot for surfing called Broken head and this is where we surfed for three hours. Terry was cold so we went to Byron shops to get him a rash vest.

Thurs 30th
We went surfing that norning and just hung around the the town.
Fri 1st Oct
We finally left Deans and went to the campsite we enquired about the day before. Unfortunately, when we got there they told us that they were full due to the school holidays nd bank holiday. Crap! So we were sort of homeless lol we decided after a few hours of thinking what we could have done, so we booked ourselves into the most expensive campsite in town but it was very close to the town. the three of us played cards with goon and then went out to Cheeky Monkeys. I had free drink vouchers so we didnt spend a thing all night.

Sat 2nd
Hangover time!
We booked ourselves into the Arts Factory where Terry was staying and then booked the cheap campsite for the week after.
Andreas, a guy from Netherlands had his guitar with him. he was very good so myself, Nathan, Terry and the guys whos Nathan was sharing a room with had a jammin session. Andreas plays a really good version of 'Rude boy' from Rhianna. Also Terry and Nathan had done a cookie from 'Nin Bin'. Nin Bin is a town 70k away from Bryon, its a hippie place so you can only imagine what is in the cookies. lol I had a couple glasses of goon.

Sun3rd
Waking up to a sore throat and no voice is doing my nut!!! Didnt do alot apart from chilled that day.
Mon 4th
That night we said our goodbyes to Terry, and this was going to be the last time we see him until we go back to England. It was quite a sad moment. ha ha

Thurs 7th
I needed a new pair of shorts so I went into a charity shop, first time ever I have been in one to buy something and I was pretty pleased. The pair of shorts were $4 but as I only had $3 on me she let me have them for $3. I also bought a bike to get around town, this was $50, it's an old school bike as well. We used nearly a whole tank of petrol in 5 days just going around the town. Not good. So its time to use our good old legs.

Nathan was meeting 'The Bike Man' today to get a bike.

Sun 10th
Bit of an emotional day today as it's my dads 60th b'day. I really wanted to be there at home with him. Spoke to mum and dad on Skype that evening so that was nice. I also spoke to them on the phone their Sat night, it was so funny because dad kept telling me it was his b'day, he was quite drunk to say the least. he he

Mon 11th
Nathan made his way into town on his bike to go to the YHA hostel as they had work for accommodation, I also made my way into Nomads who has work for accommodation as well. what a load of......... Nomads had given two positions away to other people so I came out of there feeling really disheartened. Nathan's cleaning job had been stopped so we decided to move on and leave Byron bay and go to Sydney. So we said our goodbyes to our friends Kodi and Jeremy and started the drive to Sydney


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb