Back in Byron


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 7th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are again, back in Byron Bay. We just keep coming back. If you can don't mind some of the touristy and hippy crowds, it's a great mellow little place with beautiful beaches and some great surf spots. We are back here for 2 weeks before we make our way up to Bowen, Queensland which is about 1300km's north of here which will be our base for the next 2 or 3 months while Brett builds another skateboard park. It should be a good spot to be for the winter months, and we have only been as far as Airlie Beach and the Whitsunday Islands (remember that sailing trip we went on....) which is just south of there, so it will be a good chance to check out a few new spots and the Great Barrier Reef.

Things are pretty busy in Byron at the moment between the Wategos to Main Beach Swim Meet, the triatholon this weekend, and the Malibu Surf Classic, not to mention the usual busloads of backpackers, but it has been good where we are staying. We are at a different caravan park than we normally stay at in Byron, and it is alot
Brett doing some reno's to the outside of the caravan.Brett doing some reno's to the outside of the caravan.Brett doing some reno's to the outside of the caravan.

(and the green isn't quite the right match, but not alot of choices in spray paint....)
more mellow since it is about a 5 min walk into town, so you don't get the nightly noise of the Beach Hotel then the drunkies coming home at 4am (are we sounding old???!!!). The beach is right out front that we normally go to so it's been great. Between walking and riding our bikes we have barely used our truck all week!

The temperatures have been a little bit cooler this week, but still shorts and tank top weather with a sweatshirt at night. Still beach weather which is great. Not much planned for the next few days except more of the usual - surfing, beachtime, bike rides, and happy hours... all of which revolve around catching the Canucks playoffs on the internet. Go Canucks go!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View from our campground towards The Pass.View from our campground towards The Pass.
View from our campground towards The Pass.

And all of this water in the foreground wasn't here before, only since the recent heavy amounts of rainfall.
The Sunday Market in Byron.The Sunday Market in Byron.
The Sunday Market in Byron.

Lots of organic veggies, hippy stuff, insence, crafts, jewelry, etc.
The first deadly snake we have seen since we have been here, the red bellied black snake.The first deadly snake we have seen since we have been here, the red bellied black snake.
The first deadly snake we have seen since we have been here, the red bellied black snake.

Bit hard to see but this was as close as I would let Brett get, cuz there was no way I was getting the shot!
A cute little echidna.A cute little echidna.
A cute little echidna.

There are quite a few around right now as it is mating season, and the female echidnas put out a scent and all the males follow them around for up to a couple months, which is a called an echidna train. (Which the way it should be! haha.)


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb