The story is in the sand, the story is in the sea...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
December 24th 2007
Published: December 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

G'day all! I hate to be a cliche but I needed a different opener...

I hope everyone at home is doing well. I have been a bit concerned about my neice but I hear she's on the mend which is excellent news. I have thought of home a little more in the last few days as it rained all day yesterday and brought back thoughts of London rain! Still, it wasn't quite the same and I certainly don't miss the rain. Another strange thing is although Christmas is definitely celebrated here, we just can't get the hang of it being in the sun! The day is approaching but unlike in London where there is a definite build-up, here there isn't even a small bump building up in my opinion! Oh well, perhaps when we arrive in Sydney. I hope everyone's preparations and holidays are going great back home. Enjoy the break!

Again, I have so much to tell you all. I only published my sailing blog a few days ago but I actually wrote it ages before. It's probably been over a week or so since sailing! The strange thing about the sailing and subsequent events I will soon discuss is that we only went into the travel agents to book the Greyhound bus but ended up booking out the whole time down the East Coast to Sydney!!! In a nice twist of circumstance, it's actually turned out great that the travel agent booked us up! Except for a little tiredness catching up, we've had some really unexpected experiences that have enriched our trip!

Fraser Island- the sand island

After sailing, we caught a bus to Rainbow beach and only a few hours later, we met the other people who were travelling to Fraser Island with. This tour was a self-guided camping tour which means they provide you with a 4x4 car, a map with roads and suggested sights, the food (with a handy menu) and drinks, and lastly some tents. It all seemed a bit odd and we had no idea how it would work at first! First of all, I can't drive and Joe doesn't have his license yet. Secondly, how would this work and how would the group work? Hmm... we were soon to find out.

We were put randomly into groups and watched a highly amusing Troy McClure like tape (Simpsons style) about camping and the 'evil' dingos on Fraser Island. We were told to go to the toilet in pairs, which of course would'n't have been awkward at all: 'Hi, I'm Nikki. Nice to meet you. Let's chat while we walk over to those bushes and I have a pee...' Not the best impression eh?

ANYWAY, as it turned out, our group consisted of one Dutch girl Stella, three English people named Ros, Kate and Andy (who will henceforth be known as Lesley as we all decided that suited him better) and several Germans (Flo, Tina, Frodo (who everyone decided he looked like Elijah Wood and most quickly forgot his real name), Cathrine and Laura)).

We ordered our beer and goon (as they call wine boxes here) and after a lovely $5 meal, we set off the next day. Fraser Island is only a 45 minute barge from Rainbow Island so that was nice and quick. Our first venture onto the sand in the 4x4 was a bit nerve-racking but the drivers were prepared and we had no problems. It really paid that we had a few good drivers in our car as we only got stuck in the sand once and had to get out and push! Only a few times also did we have a few bumps and 'Whoopdeedoo's' as the driving instructor had warned- basically a huge unexpected ledge in the sand that caused a little alarm but also lots of laughter.

Our first stop was Lake MacKenzie. What a beautiful lake! It stretched out for ages and the water was clear and fresh. Later, Joe and several of our group decided to swim across it (whilst I only managed a 1/3 of the way). After several meters in, there was no way to touch the ground! We tried diving under but hardly any of us even made it halfway down. We also enjoyed a game of 'piggy in the middle' which brought back memories from childhood where I remember often being in the middle... painful memories, clearly...

To avoid missing the light, we set off and drove to our first suggested camping ground. We made it in good time and managed to put off a group from camping too close who were unjustifiably loud and had been drinking whilst driving (known as the stupid group for the trip).

Setting up the tents went fine, so Joe and I took on the roles of chefs for the night. Joe dealt with the steak (which tasted excellent) and I made the potato salad. A successful meal! Everyone seemed happy so we settled down and had a few drinks. The beach was right next to us and there were some amazing starry views. All in all, it was a nice group and we certainly had less squabbles than most of the other groups we spoke to. One group consitently misread the map, tried to drive at high tide and spoke hebrew instead of conversing with the rest of the group!

Second day, after waiting out the high tide until 12pm, we visited Indian Head. Basically, a cliff with good views, we finally saw just how much sand this island had!!! We also saw a ray and marvelled at the pure power of the waves crashing against the cliffs. We set up camp a little later and were treated to a great stirfry cooked by some of the group.

This camp was VERY dark and had a lot more dingos hanging around. We had to shoo them away a few times and in the morning, after a few people left the cooler out, we found out what could happen if we weren't careful. The dingos polished off the butter, some milk, cheese and orange juice. We were all a bit disappointed as that cheese was our lunch (gourmet sandwiches...) but one girl was particularly upset and claimed 'The dingos will die!' The rest of us decided they'd probably just feel a bit sick and packed up.

Lake Wabby was our last visit on the island. After a few arguments about whether to return to Lake MacKenzie or try somewhere new, we opted for the new. We made our way through the forest and arrived at a sand dune which had a small sign proclaiming 'Lake Wabby 1 km'. Fair enough... We started our rather hot and exhausting plough through the sand. It seemed to go on forever and we had no concept of how a lake could be in anywhere near so much sand...

A few slides down sandy hills and the collecting of items lost on the slide later, we were ushered towards an even bigger hill. Yet on the other side- salvation! Lake Wabby was waiting, green watered and looking very attractive after the walk. Some people were doing sandboarding into the water which looked ace! So we're hoping to do some of that in New Zealand. All in all, I'm really enjoying the water sports/activities. Rafting/Snorkelling/Surfing and Swimming have all been really enjoyable and exciting. I'm not the best swimmer but it hasn't been a problem really. What else can I try???

This lake was pretty deep too but even I managed the swim across it! It was full of algae and little fish kept swimming by us and pecking at some people (I reackon because their feet were smelly!). We had a great heading game and best of all, lots of our 11 person group climbed one of the hills and had a synchronised run and jump into the water. We even dared a roll, a run and then a jump!

Good fun was had by all!

And here's a new fact for everyone! (If you don't know already that is...): Peeing on algae makes it glow!!! Admitedly, this is much more fun for the boys who can see their efforts rewarded much better than us crouching girls, but still- pretty fun! I have no idea how or why this fact turned up but we needless to say, there were quite a few trips to the beach on the 2nd night of our camping! If you're ever near the beach, go down just in front of the tide and give it a go. It's interesting that's for sure...


Byron Bay - the sea, the surf

The bus pulled up in Byron Bay around 11am and it's not until about an hour later that we arrive at our hostel. Unfortunately, the pick up for our surfing trip was at 1pm! So quick changeover and we were already on the bus to a beach somewhere with a trailer of surfboards behind us. The group seem decent and we all did a quick intro. Everyone on our bus was heading to Sydney, along with most of the travellers we have met. It'll be like one big reunion when we arrive!

The tiredness was catching up a little and surfing WAs probably not the activity we would've chosen for our first day in Byron but we were booked in so we wanted to make the most of it. We arrived at a lovely beach and have a quick intro about the waves and 'rips' which apparently are what we wanted to avoid ast they pull you out to sea. Unfortunately we can't hear much of what the instructor was saying but we did hear we should stay inside the flags he will put up and hopefully that'd make us safe enough! We got kitted up in a wetsuit top and were given a surfboard. I looked rather stylish carrying mine above my head, let me tell you...

After a fun warm-up, we practiced the 'technique'. It basically involved positioning ourselves on the right part of the board and doing a half press-up, then swinging the legs up in the right way to attempt standing! We had no idea how this will actually translate in the water but we had a go and hoped it'll make sense in the waves. After about 15 minutes of preparation, it was time! We dragged our boards towards the sea and jumped in.

The first few times, Joe and I just kind of let the waves take us (like body boarding I think) and it was fun just doing that. But we were there to surf! So we know we had to at least give it a try standing. I can't remember how long it took me to stand up but there were a fair few tumbles and attempts where you think you're up and then you immediately topple backwards! So really it's not standing at all...

I'm not sure I ever thought about how hard surfing would be but it's VERY hard! It's all about balance and the position of your feet and a couple of inches one way and you roll off! I got a bump on the head a few times and Joe had an unfortunate meeting with a rock and ended up with a nasty but not too serious cut on his foot. Like a trooper, he carried on without hesitation though! 😉

Anyway, we both made it up! It felt so great to 'catch a wave'. When it comes up behind you, you have to really paddle and dig your arms in and almost immediately, try to get to your feet. Then you're so amazed to actually be up that sometimes you fall straight off!!! I did get up thank goodness and even better, we have photographic evidence!

The
Practising the technique!Practising the technique!Practising the technique!

Get those arms up!
second day of surfing was definitely more frustrating. A) Joe and I were still tired (We had the LOUDEST snorer in or dorm but we did have a lovely free pancake breakfast at our hostel- yum yum!) and B) We went to a different beach where the waves and the current were so much stronger than the day before! It took ages just to get to a a good spot and even then, the waves kept bashing us back. Then when you finally got on the board, sometimes the waves just washed over you and threw you straight off! Again though, we did get up a few times but the day left us a little more depleted than the day before.

I would definitely want to try surfing again! We might just rent some boards somewhere in Oz or in NZ. We know more about the safe places to surf in the sea now and I'm sure we'd have a lot of fun giving it another go. It certainly gives you a lot more respect and admiration for the real surfers out there though! I have no idea how they stay up so well and go on such massive
Crash Crash Crash!Crash Crash Crash!Crash Crash Crash!

All in good humour...
waves. Hats off to all the good surfers out there...

Well, that was Byron Bay. All too brief, fun and challenging surfing, rain and some noisy dorms. We were in a very alternative hostel that we wish we could've explored much more. It had a cinema! And not just any cinema, it had comfy futon like seats which Joe and I delighted in using whilst waiting for our bus to Sydney. We saw 'Once' which was pretty enjoyable and had some of the native 'Tim Tam' biscuits that everyone raves about! The biscuits were pretty good, a bit like Penguin bars although not something I personally would rave about! Although we are looking forward to trying all the different flavours, eg: vanilla caramel Tim Tams. Also, our hostel had a barbers so Joe got a shave and now his eyebrows are longer than his hair!!!! (Sorry Pip) Hehe.

Very much looking forward to having our own room for a bit and having some space to spread our things about. Dorms have been fine but it's hard when the space and conditions have to be shared between 6+ people. We have met a few more people this way but
Joe surfing with styleJoe surfing with styleJoe surfing with style

He makes it look too easy!
equally we have met people on trips so I'm sure we'll be fine in Sydney. We also have a few people to catch up with which will be good fun.

So 8.55pm, Greyhound to Sydney. What will await us there? Will the city look like it did in Nemo? 😉 And will Joe and I finally get some rest?

Well, I'll tell you all those answers NOW! As there's even more to report now and I'm waiting on Joe to write the rest of his blog, I'll add a little more about Sydney and the verdict after the first few days. I'm yet to see the sea so I'm not sure I can report on Nemo's perspective on it all! We did go to the Aquarium though and saw some tiny Nemos and Dorys. We also saw some giant turtles which were really beautiful and some big sharks (who thankfully were safely separated from us by some strong looking glass). It was great to see all the different types of fish, especially some of the weirder ones (like the most dangerous octopus in Australia who was VERY small...), although going to Zoos and Aquariums also makes me a
Nikki surfing!Nikki surfing!Nikki surfing!

I look a bit too amazed!
little sad as it never seems the animals/fish have enough space. Anyway, back to the human perspective...

Sydney is great but also different from how I expected. In a sense, it's a bit like London. There are high rises on top of each other in some parts (where as London seems to space theirs out a bit more and have a more defined sky line). The people are either very friendly or kind of rude. However, Sydney also has things London doesn't have as much of, such as openair cinemas (they have a really long season and we saw 'Death at a Funeral' which was good fun), a giant harbour area and a town which stretches off in many directions and leads eventually to beaches. We've done quite a bit of walking and made it to Bondi Junction (though we did get the bus part of the way as the sun was a bit overbearing) and we can easily walk around some of the main parts of town. One of the nicest things, which London seriously lacks, are BIG pavements! Every time I go somewhere, they usually have big pavements and it makes such a difference and makes life much easier.

We've been a bit tired and today particularly, I'm feeling a bit off but we're taking it slow. Especially as the next few days should prove to be very busy! What I'm looking forward to is perhaps cooking my own dinner tonight. I fancy chili but we'll see how it goes! I always thought eating out lots would be fun and easy but it just gets boring and you really just fancy setting the pace/tone and menu! I'm a bit jealous of most of you having a nice roast for Christmas. We can't seem to find one here!

Anyway, I'm sure we'll get out and around Sydney a bit more by the next blog. We're planning on a trip to Manly beach, a xmas eve BBQ, Christmas at Bondi Beach perhaps, some museums, the skytower and more parks!

Miss you all and thinking of you.

Thanks for reading everyone. Christmas Greetings and love to all!

Love and smiles, Nikki x

ps: Thanks for the responses about good English food. I had some great suggestions and shall pass them if anyone asks again!

pps: Thanks Paul and Fran, Greenie, and Mum and
Double team surfing!Double team surfing!Double team surfing!

Pro surfers...
Dad for our xmas cards! It was great to have some post!





Advertisement



12th January 2008

The adventure continues!!!
Dear Nikki, I have just added a longer comment to Joe´s blog, which is for you both, but wanted to let you know that we have printed this off and Martin is now reading it. he says, FANTASTIC! So pleased your adventure goes on and on! Hope NZ can match the magic of all the wonderful experiences you have has already. Enjoy "The Lord of the Rings" land! Much love to you both, Pip and Martin

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb