Hippies! Byron Bay style


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
April 21st 2007
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Groovy baby! Bodacious greetings from hippiesville- the lovely town of Byron Bay, Australia! This is by far the land that time forgot. Byron offers a year round tropical paradise of beaches and rainforests, volkswagon station wagona, flower power and has average temperatures in summer of 27 degrees and 22 degrees in winter.

Myself and Brenda arrived here late on Thursday nite after our long 14 hour bus journey from Sydney. The next morning we hit the beach to start working on our pastey Irish skin on Byron Bay's main beach while soaking in the sun. Later that nite we chilled around the pool/eatting area with a nice bottle of vino in order to avoid spending too much time in our 5 person dormroom. We were sharing with three other girls/women ,one we referred to as "the obedient/ small one" and the other mean, cranky one as "the bossy/big one" and the third one was okay, just a bit synical. Lets just say "the big one" made our lives a wee bit difficult as she whinged about everything in the room including "the noise" the fan made.

On Friday we hit the beach again, this time getting slightly "pinker" a.k.a tanned!! Unfortunatly Brenda's legs didn't take too kindly to the sun and she got a burn that slightly incapacitated her. Nonetheless that was no baracade for a free drink, which we were entitled to as a result of throwing down alot of casholla at Travelbugs (travel agency). We booked a package with them called "Buggar, I'll do it all!" which will give us access to Fraser Island, the Whitsundays, Whitewater rafting at Mission Beach, a day at the Australia Zoo (Steve Irwins zoo), a snorkle in Cairns and a stay in Cape Tribulation...so we will be busy wee bees with loads of adventures until our return to Dublin.

Using our newly acquired free drinks vouchers from Travelbugs we hit the town that nite big style, and started at a venue called "Cocomanga's" where we were treated to jam jar cocktails (the cutest wee cocktails served in jam jars). Though we weren't convinced these were anything more than cordial concotions they were mighty tasty and free so thats all that mattered. After Cocomaga's we went to a place called "The Rails" where the toy trains proved very entertaining for the young at heart (aka...me!!). After this we went through
The RailsThe RailsThe Rails

"Can anyone spot the 5 yr old?"
a Byron Bay rite of initiation by going to the infamous "Cheeky Monkey's".....words can't even describe the place. They don't even have a dance floor, its actually mandatory that people dance on the tables and benches as they are all around. It was full of young english pups and pervy frenchies and spaniards..ha..and it was one of those places where somehow when you get home your feet are black from all the booze on the ground (the joys of wearing flip flops or "thongs" as they are called here in Oz).

On Saturday I just chilled at the pool and played frisbee with a crowd of English travellers and our new found adopted friend Simon. When Brenda finished her tarrot reading the two of us ventured/hiked to the Cape Byron Lighthouse where we got some spectacular views. The lighthouse stands on a bald rocky headland with a precipitious cliff on the east side, and a sheer drop of approximately 100 metres, and its the most easterly light in Australia. We got some spectacular photographs here including the lighthouse, the sun setting and climbing around on a tree like monkeys....yes Byron brings out the hippie in all of us!

On another cool note, we recently found out that Jessica Simpson and John Mayer were here in Byron just days ago!!! Too bad we missed that photo op!

Next stop: Surfers Paradise!!! Yeah dude!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Cheeky MonkeysCheeky Monkeys
Cheeky Monkeys

"See.. I wasn't lying, people dance on the tables!!"
The most easterly point in AustraliaThe most easterly point in Australia
The most easterly point in Australia

"Now I just gotta make my way to the most westernly point!"


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb