A Box full of Puppies, a Bucket full of Mice


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A Boxful of PuppiesA Boxful of PuppiesA Boxful of Puppies

Huddled together fast asleep!
Someone said to me last night “You’re back again, where have you been on your travels?” we were at Woodstock and Helen had organised for a number of friends to come round for dinner, 14 in all and we had met everybody when we stayed at Woodstock before, but I think everybody thought we had been on the road, I explained that we had still been living in Canberra, where we have been since mid January 2010.

Jo remarked that the last time they saw us was when we had dinner with them during the Christmas of 2009, it feels like yesterday yet it also feels along time ago.

When I had thought about it since we had seen everybody we have managed to see a few places despite being very busy with work. We have been to Wollongong, Sydney, Coolah Tops, Warrumbungle National Park, Dandry Gorge, Bega and more recently Kangaroo Valley, not to mention the places that we have both visited for our work including places like Christmas Island and a lot more of Australia.

But for now it is real life, the one were we have to work for a living. Except that I have not done a lot of that myself in the past 5 weeks. I have spent a lot of time off work because I have been ill, but thankfully everyday is still an improvement and after the long weekend I am going to try and get back to work and do a full day in the office!

Thank you everyone for all your good wishes when you found out that I was in hospital, it was nice to feel that everyone was thinking about me.

Anyway, back to Woodstock as usual we had an exceptionally warm welcome from Helen and Robert, I had cooked dinner for us on the Friday evening, a shepherds pie, maybe somewhat appropriate for sheep farmers, when we got there the electric blankets were already switched on, the fire was already on the go and inside the homestead it was toasty warm, but let me tell you it was freezing outside, the night was clear and crisp, and the sky was clear and full of stars,

Helen warned us not to leave any doors open and this was not because she didn’t want the heat escaping but to stop the mice from coming indoors.
The Puppies New HomeThe Puppies New HomeThe Puppies New Home

Kimba's new pups
They have a significant mice problem at the moment (most farmers do – it has been the weather conditions that have brought them back). A far cry from the plague of mice that Helen told us about that happened a long time ago when even the bed legs needed to stand in water to stop the mice from running amok over the beds and making a nest in the bed linen.

There are mouse traps everywhere and usually in the mornings Helen wanders around to check the traps, and empties all the dead mice into a bucket.

The good news is that Kimba, one of the working dogs, has had another litter of puppies, she has them huddled up in a box outside our bedroom window, I sneak a peak first thing in the morning, Kimba has left them to it and all 5 of them are huddled up in one big pile sleeping and keeping warm!

Apparently, Wally had done the deed, Helen thought he was too old, but as they say , there must be life in the old dog yet, and there was.

Saturday morning was cold, frosty and foggy, but the sun was waiting to come through, it was going to be a lovely day and after breakfast we headed up to Kimba’s compound as Helen wanted to do some repairs before the puppies were put back in there. Andy and I help but I was only on light duties (making the tea) as Andy and Helen got the shovels out and proceed to fill the holes in the Kimba has dug underneath the concrete base, which is where, she had her pups, Helen had to lie on her belly and stretch her arm out to retrieve all 5 puppies.

One of our priorities for the weekend though was to drag the trailer (Wendy House) out of the garage so that the garage could be cleaned up and we could sort out what was left in the trailer that needed to be brought back to Canberra with us. Helen was also concerned that mice may have got into it.

Before long the trailer was emptied, stuff sorted for throwing, keeping and staying with the trailer. We remove the canvas cover and set up the Wendy House for the first time in months (probably 12 to be more accurate) – we
Here's looking at EweHere's looking at EweHere's looking at Ewe

That's an old gag I have used before
are amazed, there was no sign of mice activity, there is not even a single spider on the inside, we took some photos, fold it all back up again and tuck her back into the garage, hopefully for the last time as we are now keen to sell her, but we have many happy memories that we wont be selling along with her.

We have no room for the trailer in Canberra (only one parking space under the apartment block where we live) and of course keen to free up the space for Helen and Robert.

Helen and Robert have an excellent new toy, well not a toy but a superb piece of equipment that really suits the farm, its sort of a cross between a golf cart and a pick up truck made by Kubota. The little truck has a diesel engine, is automatic and very easy to drive and I think it is better than using one of the thirsty landcruiser to do the whizzing about the Kubota can do.

The little truck is loaded with all the rubbish from the garage and our trailer, including a bucket full of dead mice from the last
Caroline and the Poddy lambsCaroline and the Poddy lambsCaroline and the Poddy lambs

They are so sweet, especially with Mint sauce
few nights mousetrap catch.

Later that afternoon we head up to feed the dogs, but we have to walk through the paddock where Helen has the poddy lambs, they all crowd round us thinking that we have food for them, some of them have the cutest of faces, but no time to get attached, they will be moved in the morning as they are all weened and will soon join the rest of the flock.

With the dogs fed, we turn to head back, but we see all of the lambs standing and staring at us, it looks very spooky, I couldn’t see it been turned into a film, Night of the Poddy lambs just doesn’t sound scary enough.

Saturday night we went over to some neighbours, Killara has some new people living there and they invited us all over for a bonfire and camp oven cooking evening, so we all wrapped up warm and headed over. There are a few people already there, the bonfire is in full swing and several camp ovens are sitting on the coals of a smaller fire, the smell wafting across is gorgeous.

Sasha the Golden Labrador wanders around each of the guests introducing herself and looking for a fuss, she is not shy when she comes to visit us.

When dinner is ready we head under canvas where dinner is served as a help yourself, so grabbing a plate each we find potatoes, vegetables, pork, beef and lashings of gravy. No one will go hungry tonight!

Children are given sparklers to enjoy; it is just like November 5th (Guy Fawkes Night) in England but without the fireworks and minus a few more figures on the temperature. There are restrictions on fireworks in Australia so no fireworks here tonight.

Eventually the evening came to a close and we headed back to a toasty warm Woodstock for a good nights sleep, sliding into a hot bed when you come from a cold evening is fantastic.

Sunday morning brings a flurry of activity in the kitchen as Helen is preparing dinner for 14 people in the evening. Andy and I do our best to help out where possible – I manage to knock up a chocolate slice which appeared to be more like a chocolate biscuit than a slice, but on cutting it appeared to be ok.
A Beautiful Woodstock DayA Beautiful Woodstock DayA Beautiful Woodstock Day

The weather was just fantastic, winter, shorts and Tee shirts

Andy was on firewood duty, shifted boxes, tested batteries in the smoke detectors and cleaning up the doggy Hilton, amongst all of this he managed to find the time for his afternoon nap, because he also had a headache after having a few bottles of beer at the bonfire last night – Lightweight!

Andy had a hankering to cook a recipe he has wanted to do since he saw it somewhere in the 4X4 magazines we subscribe to “Beer battered prawns”.

Helen supplied a kilo of prawns and Andy got to work, mixing the batter, whist the oil was heating up and the test prawn was done and Both Andy and Helen were satisfied with the results, soon the prawn maestro’s had agreed, not to cook the prawns until just before the guests arrive.

The first to arrive was John and Cathy, John is Roberts brother and Cathy is his Partner, they live in Wantabadgery which basically is just over the hill but about 20 minutes by road. Soon the Wemyss’s family arrived, Andrew and Jo, with their sons Josh with his girlfriend Erica and Daniel with his girlfriend Lorena.

With everyone settled in Helen laid
The Cruiser & The Wendy HouseThe Cruiser & The Wendy HouseThe Cruiser & The Wendy House

Caroline maneuvering the Wendy House ready for a photo or two
out what could only be described as a mountain of food, beef Casserole, Curry, savoury slice, everybody sat around the table and tucked in.

It was just lovely to be back at Woodstock, it was early February since we were last here, and its like a shot in the arm, the fresh air and open space just makes you feel better, it is a real tonic.

By the time everyone had left, it was around 11.00 pm, we were all tired, tomorrow was the Queens Birthday and a Public Holiday in Australia, so it was not back to work for us until Tuesday.

Woodstock had shearers in, so Robert would be busy all day in the shed, so for now, it was time to slide in between the sheets.

Monday arrived all too soon, again it was a frosty morning, but would turn out to be a beautiful day, we needed to pack all our gear, along with the stuff we had taken out of the trailer that was coming back to Canberra with us.

The swag was tied on along with the old spare wheel for the Patrol, the wheel will be sold on
The Wendy HouseThe Wendy HouseThe Wendy House

No Mice had got in, which was good, the canvas is faded, but still a good camper trailer.
as we do not need it anymore, the new box was brimming with everything packed away but all tucked away nicely.

We were ready to roll so we said our thank you’s and shared our kisses, and trundled away from the homestead, but we had one last job to do which was go and drop the sandwiches off in the shearers shed, we walked up the ramp where we were greeted by Wally and Trixie, who were enjoying a snooze in the sun shine, and as we walked through the sliding door, it was a hive of activity, with sheep been shorn, fleeces being pressed and the boards being swept. Of course they were all wearing their “Jackie Howes” shirts.

Robert came over and we thanked him for a Wonderful weekend, he took the sandwiches and we gave the dogs one last fuss and it was time for us to go.

The journey back was uneventful, it was warm and sunny and the roads were fairly quiet, we had had the most wonderful weekend on our favourite farm and we were sad to leave.

We commented just how lucky we were to have know such lovely people.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Blue Sky is revealedBlue Sky is revealed
Blue Sky is revealed

The day turns out to be very warm whilst Canberra stayed very cool!
KubotaKubota
Kubota

a great farm toy!


15th June 2011

I'm a sucker for the puppies and the lambs.
Hope you are feeling better.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb