Socorro to Santa Fe, NM


Advertisement
North America
September 26th 2013
Published: October 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sandia Casino ResortSandia Casino ResortSandia Casino Resort

Across the Interstate from the Balloon Park
26 September Socorro to Santa Fe – I checked out of my budget room in Socorro and headed north on I-25. I was sure glad to be getting out of the Chihuahuan Desert and the Journada del Muerto. I stopped in Albuquerque to check out the Sandia Casino RV parking area I had stayed in last time I was here. It still looks good for some free overnight parking for the balloon fest. Across Tramway RD. from it were some buffalo that the Indians are raising to help restore the buffalo here on the Sandia Indian Reservation. The casino and buffalo are across the Interstate from where the Balloon Fiesta Park where the balloon fest will be held is located.

So after having a good look around I headed north again on I-25 towards Santa Fe. The weather was clear and pleasantly cool.

I was happy to finally reach the climbing lane for the escarpment about 17 miles south of Santa Fe It was quite a long climb up and when I reached the top I could easily imagine the joy of travelers in previous centuries who had crossed that desert and up and over the escarpment walking or in wagons.

It must have been pure joy to them to see the wide and open plain in front of them and Santa Fe.

I stopped at a very nice rest area about 15 miles south of Santa Fe on the northern edge of the escarpment and enjoyed the refreshing breeze and cool air and the expansive view of Santa Fe below. I have had enough desert to suit me for a while.



Evening - I arrived in Santa Fe and got off I- 25 at Cerrillos drive and headed north on it to the SuperWalmart. I had to almost immeadiatly get into the left lane in order to be in position to turn into the road leading to the SuperWalmart. It is about 1/4 mile north of I-25 on Cerrillos drive. Right across the road from it they now have a new MacDonalds. After checking out the SuperWalmart ( I’ve overnighted here before), and noting that about 20 RVs, cars etc. were going to overnight there I drove back out and across the Road to MacDonalds.

I ordered a senior coffee and was surprised to find out that they did not serve senior coffees anymore but instead I could get the same small coffee as everyone else for $1.08!!!

So I got a small coffee instead. Since refills are free I think it is stupid to buy a bigger one. Just get it refilled.

In any case I got my coffee and set up my office at one of their tables. They had a row of tables all with plugs so that worked well. They have a sign up that says no staying over an hour (something else new) but the sign is universally ignored.

I got on the internet and did some homework on Santa Fe for a few hours and then drove back over to the SuperWalmart. It is actually within walking distance between the SuperWalmart and the MacDonalds if a person had set up their RV and didn’t want to move it again and didn’t mind chancing getting run over crossing Cerrillos Drive on foot.

So after I finished at MacDonalds I drove back over to SuperWalmart and did a little shopping, then drove over to the west side of the parking lot where the rest of the RV’s were parked. I parked my truck so as to minimize the bright lights of the parking lot shining in. Then I sacked out for the night.

I know I didn’t see anything my first day in Santa Fe but I have found it works better when I get somewhere to get set up and get my rat killing done the first day and not try to see anything.

SANTA FE INFO.

http://www.santafelibrary.org/ Santa Fe Library – 1 ½ blocks north of the plaza at 145 Washington Ave. No free parking anywhere I looked.

Oliver La Forge Library 1730 Llano St. off of St. Michaels

Southside Library 6599 Jaguar Dr. – Closest to the SuperWalmart and MacDonalds that are on Cerillos drive.

New Mexico State Library – 1209 Camino Carlos Rd.

www.santafe.org – Santa Fe Convention and visitors center – 201 W. Marcy St.

New Mexico department of tourism – 491 Old Santa Fe Trail

www.santafenewmexican.com The Santa Fe New Mexican Newspaper

www.sfreporter.com The Santa Fe Reporter paper

Main Post Office – 120 S. Federal Place – 2 blocks north and 1 block west of the Plaza

Coronado Station Branch – 2071 Pacheo St.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bulls protecting calfBulls protecting calf
Bulls protecting calf

When I approached the calf to get a picture two Bull Buffalos got on either side of the calf and kept a wary eye on me. The mother buffalo is just to the left of the calf.
Summit of the EscarpmentSummit of the Escarpment
Summit of the Escarpment

It would be hard for a modern man to imagine what joy the people felt when they reached the summit of the escarpment and started down into Santa Fe. Some of them had walked all the way from Vera Cruz, Mexico.


20th October 2013

Deserts and buffalo
That's what I was thinking about when we travelled across Arizona and Nevada .... What it would have been like for those early pioneers in their wagons walking endlessly . Great that they are trying to conserve buffalo herds . You are sure finding your way round super Walmarts and free camping .. Well done on the deals for seniors , I am always on the lookout for those . Lynne X
20th October 2013

Santa Fe
Sounds like you are getting the lay of the land. Enjoy.

Tot: 2.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb