Rihla # 22


Advertisement
North America
March 11th 2012
Published: March 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/09/living/beauty-media-miss-representation/index.html?npt=NP1

1) This article is about how women are portrayed in today's media. Women are objectified in the media and as a result they are losing out on leadership opportunities. Women are just seen for their physical features in todays society, thus lose in gaining higher positions. There is a documentary, Miss Respresented, that discusses the portrayal of women today so more people are informed of the bigger issue. More people have to realize the problem because the women in media are unrealistic. If women are influenced by the "picture perfect woman" then that could lead to eating disorders or other harmful health hazards.

2) This relates to what we have learned in history because it refers to how far women will go to be beautiful accoring to society. Women will resort to eating disorders to compete with society's portrayal of beauty. This relates to women who resorted to foot binding to be beautiful. The article also relates to how women aren't expected to hold leadership roles in society. In history it was unacceptable for women to have higher positions in the work place, and, nowadays, there aren't many women holding those higher positions because of what is seen in the media.

3) There is evidence of cause and effect in the article. One relationship is that women are portrayed as thin, sexy, fragile people in the media, so in reality many women try to be what they see and resort to eating disorders.

4) Questions: Why does media define what is beautiful?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb