Rihla # 21


Advertisement
North America
March 4th 2012
Published: March 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/28/lincolns-legacy-fights-modern-slavery/

1) Modern day slavery is different from earlier forms of slavery because now it is illegal and the victims are any age, race, and nationality.

2) The movement against sex trafficking connects to the legacy of President Lincoln because Lincoln's goal was to abolish slavery completely and it has yet been done. His cottage was the place where the Emancipation Proclamation was developed; it was the place where decisions were made to stop slavery in the past. Now the movement moves to the same place to eradicate modern day slavery.

3) The Polaris project is an anti-trafficking organization founded in 2002. It was named after the North Star that guided slaves to freedom. It is a national hotline that accepts calls 24 hours a day from people who suspect trafficking in the community or are victims of trafficking. I think that this project is a good idea because it helps people speak out.

4) I do agree with the article that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery because people are treated as pieces of property and have no say as to where they go.

5) Other examples of modern day slavery: Child labor sweatshops

Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb