rihla 19


Advertisement
North America
February 20th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

what are some of the reasons books are banned in high schools?

a lot of the reasons for most of the books being banned are the same. parents or church members feel the books are too mature because of their sexual, and mainly percieved adult content. they say the books have drugs, violence, homosexuality, and many other "negative" characteristics.



Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.

i agree with most of these reasons for books intended to be read by young adults and not children. some of the books that were banned from elementary schools should have been banned because some themes are better left unread by young and immpressional kids. such as the dead man in the creek, kids in elementary school, who don't know much of anything, or shouldnt, shouldn't read about drugs, drug smuggling, violence or things of that nature.



What reasons do you not agree with? Why?

i think a lot of what i believe depends on the reader and the content or amount of "negative" content. i think for certain age groups some of these themes are important to learn about especially if their not taught anywhere else. i mostly think it should be for older kids though, they should learn about sex, the effects of drug use, the consequences of violence and other themes like that.

Who do you think pressures the teacher on what they should or shouldn't teach?

it changes for all school but definitely parents, conservative members of things, and the school boards.



if you wanted to fight against vook censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.

one way would be to write an angry letter and fill it with persuasive information and then add a petition with many signatures.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb