rihla 18


Advertisement
North America
February 10th 2012
Published: February 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

part 1

1. Name of Interviewee: jesus

2. Relationship to Interviewee: grandpa

3. Decade of Choice: (The person should choose one decade from their life to refer to) the1960s

4. Describe the environment in which you lived for that decade. during this time he was going back in forth between Mexico and the United States. He was a bracero, who was registered to work for the United States for certain time periods throughout the years. He farmed in the South and even traveled to Chicago multiple times. There was definitely discrimination in the south and even towards the mexicans.

5. What major activities did you participate in? he was mainly a bracero, and then got any job offered. he worked in a lot of factories, for example in iron he smoothed it out or something like that, and that took a lot of strength and basic manual labor.

6. What were the major social issues of that decade? segregation in the south was clear, but even in Chicago it was hard to get paid well and then support family in mexico. also family pressures for all immigrants; just being able to travel back and forth to support a growing family.

7. What was the biggest turning point for you during that decade? Why? definitely the growing family in Mexico. it was hard to care for everyone, it was hard to put food on the table even once a day everyday.





Part 2

1. In your own words, do you think that location has influenced this person’s actions? If so, explain.

i definitely think location influenced everything about the actions he committed. had he been born anywhere else i don't think the pressures of having to work hard for so many kids would be as much. in many places of the world, such a large family is not always common, but with machismo and parents looking over shoulders constantly large families arise and difficulties also come with them. also being able to travel between the u.s and mexico couldn't have occured easily anywhere else.

2. Do you think your location within the last decade of your life has influenced your actions? Explain.

living in chicago has made me who i am. i see so many things that dont happen in other countries or even surrounding suburbs. i think the experiences with living in a city have influenced me to also experiment with the other places the world has to offer such as other cities, lakes, and forests.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb