Pagosa Springs, Colorado


Advertisement
North America
May 25th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

There is so much to do here in this little town of Pagosa Springs. Countless centuries ago, the inhabitants of the Four Corners area of southern Colorado discovered a mineral-rich hot springs on the banks of the San Juan River. During the 1870's a U.S. govetnment fort, Fort Lewis, was established near the site of the springs, and shortly thereafter, a town called Pagosa Springs began growing up along the banks of the San Juan River.

The indians called it Pag-Osah, meaning "Healing Waters". In a U.S. Army physicians report in the 1860's, the physicians declared "The waters of Pagosa Springs are without a doubt the most healing and wonderful waters that have ever been discovered". As the news spread, the springs became a very popular destination and is still a popular destination for travelers today.

The most famous visitors to the Springs Inn were John Wayne during his filming of the movie "The Cowboys", Jimmie Doolittle, World War II Hero, and Oprah Winfrey in 2006.
The town of Pagosa Springs is a lovely little town with over 50 wonderful restaurants and many shops and boutiques.

There are jeeping trails here, river rafting, golfing, fishing, shopping, sightseeing, and of course the wonderful hot springs .


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb