Priceless


Advertisement
North America
October 18th 2007
Published: November 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at the factory in Nappanee, Indiana only to find that our appointment had been pushed back several days. We had a man there make custom cabinets for our coach so we had those installed while we waited. He did a wonderful job and the cabinets are beautiful. Bill now has a wonderful area for his laptop while Patti has hers at the regular computer station in the bedroom. No more controversy over computer time!

The third night at approximately 8:30 p.m., there was an F-3 Tornado that hit Nappanee, approximately one mile or so from where we were staying. We had heavy rain and severe wind. The power was out for a short time and the next day we went into town and could not believe the devastation. Hundreds of homes and businesses gone and/or damaged. Piles of rubble everywhere. The streets of the town were completely blocked off. We could not get to the grocery store or to the bank downtown. It was a miracle no one was killed and only 6 people injured.

Within 24 hours Amish people from Pennsylvania and across the United States were showing up to rebuild the community. This is Amish country and their farms are meticulous and beautiful. They are very hard working people and they stick together as a community to help each other through the hard times in their lives. They continue to amaze us with their work ethics and kindnesses shown to everyone, not just their own people. We volunteered to help clean up some of the areas but they were turning away nearly 600 volunteers because of looting! There should be some type of policy within our justice system that it is within the law to shoot looters on sight when a disaster like this occurs.

Amish Acres is located one block from our Motor Coach factory. The Round Red Barn Theatre is there as well. We attended two plays there and both were excellent. We saw "Plain and Fancy" and "The Follies of Will Rogers". We visited the Amish farms, the chocolate shop, had the Amish dinner at the grand restaurant, and toured Nappanee many times during our stay. One good thing----- we now know where to find all the great Amish food in Northern Indiana!

Recall items on our engine were done by Spartan and other items fixed as needed.They replaced our windshield, the passenger side outside mirror, the driver side window and other items that needed fixing after nearly 12,000 miles on the road. Now we sound like the Master Card commercial when we say.......................

..New cabinets for the coach - $1200
Cost of staying 10 days at the factory for a week - totally free.
Cost of food while there - immaterial.
Eating wonderful Amish cooking for 10 days - delightful !
Getting all $6,000 worth of items on the coach fixed under warranty for free - PRICELESS !

Advertisement



Tot: 2.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1009.2kb