New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 23rd 2014
Published: July 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

9/11 Memorial9/11 Memorial9/11 Memorial

This fountain sits in the exact spot where on of the towers fell on that fateful day
23/07/14: New York is located on the Eastern Atlantic Coast of the United States, at the mouth of the Hudson River. It has a population of 8,175,133 as per the 2010 census. Local cuisine; This worldly city has a global palate due to over 350 years of immigrant history. In addition to world renowned restaurants the city is famous for bagels, cheesecake, New York style pizza, and street vendors.

The Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano was the first European to explore New York harbour in 1524 but it was Henry Hudson who convinced the Dutch West India Company to place a trading post on Manna-Hata Island in 1624. Two years later the settlement was renamed New Amsterdam after governor Peter Minuit made the real estate deal of all time. Minuit purchased the island from the Manhattan Indians for only $24.00. The Dutch continued to occupy here until 1664 when England took control and named the city New York, after James Duke of York. For the next three centuries, New York City would continue to thrive becoming a beacon for business, artists, free thinkers, political bosses, dreamers, and immigrants.

Amidst the glitz and glamour of NYC we have to remember
One world trade centreOne world trade centreOne world trade centre

The new building standing 1776 feet tall
that the city was , and continues to be, a haven for immigrants. Ellis Island stands as a testament to the 25 million people who passed through its doors from 1892 to 1954.

After disembarking this morning we walked a couple of K’s to catch the hop on hop off bus we travelled around the city before deciding where to get off for our first stop.

Eventually we made it to the 9/11 memorial which is where the twin towers stood, it is truly magnificent, and even though there were hundreds of people there it was very quiet. There were even some white roses placed in the names of those who perished very solemn. After getting back on the bus and sitting upstairs in the heat 30+ degrees seeing as how the bus was hardly moving we decided to get off and walk to the Apple Store as we heard that they trade in old phones. Colleen and I both got a valuation of $125.00 each, so we said no thanks and then walked, and walked, and walked, all the way from Central Park to Macy’s on 6th Avenue. Colleen wanted to buy some make up, but they
RolexRolexRolex

Colleen showing off her new purchase don't ask the price.
did not stock her brand, so as we were both stuffed we decided to head back to the ship. There are about 11,000 cabs in New York do you thin we could hail one no way. Eventually a guy on a pedal cab pulled up and at $3.00 per minute we jumped and headed back to the ship, the fare $60.00. However it was still quicker than if we had caught a cab, as this guy was weaving in and out of the traffic like a pro.

When we berthed this morning we tied up alongside the U.S.S. Intrepid an old WWII Aircraft Carrier. It is now a museum with all types of aircraft on its flight deck even a space shuttle and a concord on the wharf, and a submarine on the opposite berth. Colleen suggested that we have a look before going into the city but me in my infinite wisdom said no it will be open when get back. Got back at 4:20 p.m. and it closed at 4:00 p.m. who’s a dill?



We sail at 8:00 p.m. tonight for Antigua in the Caribbean, I don’t know if I will be up to
Times SquareTimes SquareTimes Square

The building in the background with the blue lighting is for advertising purposes only and costs $10,000.00 per hour.
say goodbye to the Statue of Liberty on our way out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The lady herselfThe lady herself
The lady herself

Statue of Liberty


Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb