Fall Foliage Tour 2010 - Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 24th 2010
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Fall Foliage Day 2


Nubble LighthouseNubble LighthouseNubble Lighthouse

Built in 1879 to protect mariners from 'Savage Rock'
On the second day we drove into Maine, and our first stop was York Harbor, Maine. Here we saw the Nubble Lighthouse. It was great to just slowly drive up the coast, and the further north we went the more beautiful the coast became. We were moving away from larger population centers.

We continued following Route 1N, but we detoured on Route 27S and ate lunch on Southport Island, which is off a penninsula 10 miles off Route 1. The town was called Boothbay, and the restaurant was Robinson's restaurant and pub. There were lobster traps just outside the door, so we knew it was going to be good food. At this point, we ate our first Maine Lobster. When they brought us the lobster, they forgot to bring us the butter, but we began eating anyway. After the first bite, we realized that the lack of butter was no mistake - we didn't need it. The lobster was the best we ever had! The island and the restaurant were great, and it really seemed like an off the tourist trail type of place.

After lunch we went south on Route 238 to the southern end of some other
BoothBay HomeBoothBay HomeBoothBay Home

This is one of many homes in BoothBay harbor.
small island where we came across a dock with dozens of lobster traps. This was clearly an active dock (there was a fisherman working about 50 yards out). On our way back off the island, we stopped at Sawyer's Pond.

After we got off the series of islands in BoothBay and headed back up the penninsula toward Route 1, we stopped at ZAK preserve at wildcat creek. It was a nice quite walk.

We drove through Camden and stopped for the day in Lincolnville beach. We ate at the whales tooth restaurant, had lobster bisque soup and sauteed shrimp, which was again excellent!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Robinson's RestaurantRobinson's Restaurant
Robinson's Restaurant

This is the place we had lunch.
Lobster TrapLobster Trap
Lobster Trap

Right outside the front door of the restaurant a lobster trap. There were plenty more on the dock.
Restaurant DockRestaurant Dock
Restaurant Dock

This was the view from our table in the restaurant. It was a drive up or boat up dock. Looks like they had both drive up and boat up deliveries as well.
Loncolnville BeachLoncolnville Beach
Loncolnville Beach

This cannon was stationed at this exact location during the war of 1812


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb