Two weeks to go!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 10th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It's hard to imagine that in two weeks me and the kids will be boarding a plane to Miami and then one to La Paz, Bolivia.

The airport in El Alto, just outside the city of La Paz, is the second highest in the world 13,325 feet (4,061.5 m). With the one in Tibet claiming the number one spot.

The altitude will not be our only challenge, the seasons are opposite when you cross the equator, so we will be leaving the 80's°F (~27°C) and arriving to El Alto's cold early-morning temps of low 20's°F (~-6°C).

The city of La Paz sits in a "bowl" surrounded by the high mountains of the altiplano. We will make our way down to the city as soon as we exit the airport in order to get to a lower altitude and warmer temps (about 8 to 10 degrees of difference)
La Paz will be home base for the six weeks that we will be in South America. From there, we plan to take trips to Santa Cruz and Tarija in Bolivia; maybe a day trip across the border to Argentina and we are also planning to spend some time in a beach town in Chile..

Now off to do some more packing...

Advertisement



29th June 2010

I hope you guys are staying warm. Have lots of fun.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb