Is the Fastest Route to the Bahamas thru Bermuda?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jay OffshoreJay OffshoreJay Offshore

Crazy or brilliant- we shall see...
One of the things that have happened while living here in Charleston is that we have befriended many of the delivery captains. These people are paid to move boats from here to there and occasionally need crew to come with them. Because of this we are now considered for many trips (even though our lack of experience) due to our friendships with these skippers. And as things worked out, I (Jay) am off to help deliver a boat.

Ok, either this plan is brilliant, or it is plain stupid. We checked with plenty of respectable sailors here and it seems like it is right the thing to do. I am on a flight tomorrow to Bermuda (777 miles from Charleston) to sail a boat offshore for the next 5 days, eventually delivering it back here to Charleston. Of course this will give me great experience for our own journey, but it is a bit scary as I set off. It looks like the wind on the first day will be blowing 30 knots and there will be 9-18 foot seas (which will be an interesting foray into offshore sailing for me). However, we will be in a 1971 Hinkley 40’, which I am told is very seaworthy. And I can’t believe that I am actually getting paid to sail someone else’s boat!

So we were originally planning on getting to the Bahamas in about three weeks, meandering down the coast and intercoastal waterway. But now that I am delivering a boat, this changed that plan. After I return from Bermuda, we are going to take the Rum Runner offshore to the Abacos with the same delivery captain (jumping off from Charleston and sailing directly there- no stops). He has agreed to help us out in exchange for my help delivering the boat from Bermuda, which works out best for everyone.

This will certainly be good experience for us and we are looking forward to the island living soon to follow. While I am getting the offshore experience from Bermuda, Jen will be finishing the provisioning of the boat for the journey.



Advertisement



23rd February 2006

Corporate versus The Great Sea
Ummm....Sounds like you (Jay) are taking on a new career whether crazy or brilliant! You never know what is on the horizon of your life! Love, Mom
23rd February 2006

We are impressed...are you getting paid or just getting good experience. We are still enjoying Spain even though it is colder than we would like. Be safe and have fun! Gran and Margaret
24th February 2006

only one camera?
24th February 2006

ooooops
Pushed the wrong button on that last one and the comment got sent unfinished. Who is manning the blog? I suspect Jen is. Who has the camera, there again, I think Jen. Will we still be getting pics of Kona or did he go with Jay? I assume Kona is a little perplexed either way and is wondering where Jay is or where Jen is. He is probably sitting by his food just in case.
24th February 2006

beard - stubble
Is that a bit of a mattey's sea fuzz letting loose there cap'n
25th February 2006

Brilliant or Stupid?
Dearest Jay, Brilliant, of course! Choosing to gain experience on someone else's boat with a skipper and crew of experience is a wonderful opportunity. May you have a safe and uneventful journey back to the Rum Runner with a readiness to hit the high seas and the easy island livin' (right?). We will all be eager to hear tales of the trip, next in line after Jen and Kona, of course. Jen, do hope you and salty dog have continued the provisioning process while Jay is at work ............. how much more can the boat hold and where in the world are you finding room? Love you bunches!!!!!! Mom
28th February 2006

Questions
Looks like the questions I was going to ask were already asked! Hopefully they will be answered in the next entrie. As for Kona, while he is sitting by his food, I gather he is calculating how many days and hours of his food supply is left. Love you a lot and am thinking of both of you every hour of each day!....Mom(Jean)

Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 30; qc: 154; dbt: 0.1783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb