Away From It All (Alaska)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 30th 2007
Published: August 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Denali, The Great OneDenali, The Great OneDenali, The Great One

At about 20320 feet or 6200 meters, this is the tallest mountain in North America, with a longer vertical rise (from its base) than Mt. Everest. The name means 'The Great One in the native Athabaskan language; the Americans in 1896 named it after President McKinley...
Hello friends, Evi and I just returned home from a 10 day excursion in America's largest state, Alaska. Starting from Fairbanks we worked our way south for 3 days through Denali, the nation's largest national park, towards Anchorage and eventually our ship in Whittier.

Alaska is truly the land of wide open spaces. Few paved roads, automobiles, noise, urban stress. Beaucoup bears, moose, eagles, mountain sheep, and tourists (thank goodness - keeps the economy going). Miles of human-free landscape; if you drive the main highway from Fairbanks to Anchorage, about 350 miles, you'll pass rivers, lakes, mountain vistas, few cars, fewer traffic lights, and millions of spruce and hemlock trees. One town has population two, both living in the same house; husband mayor, wife chairman of city council. Talkeetna was the cutest hippie town I've ever seen (scenes from Northern Exposure were set here). In the city of Whittier, southeast of Anchorage where the big ships dock, most of the 180 inhabitants live in one high-rise apartment building!

Most family homes are not competing for a spread in Home and Garden magazine. They are painted bright colors and often seem in need of some repair. The northern and western
Hello from Evi and Howie Hello from Evi and Howie Hello from Evi and Howie

Nature, trees, fresh air, mixed clouds and sunshine, that's Alaska in August...
exposures of the state, mostly inhabited by native peoples, have few paved roads; the best way to get around is by small airplane. If you live in Alaska you must be self sufficient, able to live with sub-zero temperatures and 5 hours of daily light for months in the winter, and temps in the 60's with over 20 hours of daily light in the summer!

For the next 7 days we suffered through 24 hour activities: shows, eating, dancing, drinking, trivia contests (our team won 5/8), midnight snacks, food, movies, casino (voluntary taxes on the mathematically impaired), and of course meeting nice people from all over. Most Americans on our trip seemed from Wisconsin, and most foreigners from Asian countries.

Evi, now an accomplished photographer, and I took about 1000 photos, threw away all but about 300, and here are some favorites to share with you.

Here's a trivia question: The smallest US state, Rhode Island, could fit how about many times into the largest state, Alaska? About 100, 300, or 500? *** See answer below...
* * * * *
(485 times; Rhode Island has 1,213 square miles; Alaska covers 587,878 square miles)

That's it
Dogs Love to RunDogs Love to RunDogs Love to Run

At the home of Susan Butcher, former winner of the Iditarod dog sled race, dogs are trained in the snow-free summertime by pulling a tractor.
for now... until next time, love, Howard and Evi


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

I've Got My Coat To Keep Me WarmI've Got My Coat To Keep Me Warm
I've Got My Coat To Keep Me Warm

The woman on the left is famous in Alaska for her hand-made coats, made over a period of months from various animal skins; you can buy one for $35,000.
Such Huge Cabbages!?Such Huge Cabbages!?
Such Huge Cabbages!?

In spite of a short growing season, from May to September, almost 24 hours of sunlight per day cause these plants to grow very laaaarge!
Evening LightEvening Light
Evening Light

Visitors outside the hotel enjoy the restful scenery at 9:00 pm, 2 hours before sunset.
Native Guide at Denali Nat'l ParkNative Guide at Denali Nat'l Park
Native Guide at Denali Nat'l Park

He is explaining the history of his people and the landscape and the great Denali.
Evi Walks the Thin Line Evi Walks the Thin Line
Evi Walks the Thin Line

OK, now these are great trains; double-decker, glass ceilings on top, restaurant below, everybody sits at a table, constant service of food and drink is available.
Still Life With BoozeStill Life With Booze
Still Life With Booze

I took this photo inside the train; this is the bar, with the scenery zooming along in the background.
Floating HotelFloating Hotel
Floating Hotel

This Princess ship is so huge; it fits 3000 passengers; you can't feel it moving; 15 floor levels of activities all the time. unpack once and enjoy the ride...
Everybody To Their Own TasteEverybody To Their Own Taste
Everybody To Their Own Taste

Crowds of cruise passengers enjoy the beauties of Glacier Bay, while others prefer the luxury of the Jacuzzi...
Luxury Everywhere You LookLuxury Everywhere You Look
Luxury Everywhere You Look

The ship really is gorgeous! This is one of the formal nights, champagne party time.
On Broadway, On the ShipOn Broadway, On the Ship
On Broadway, On the Ship

Every night there's an outstanding show of music, dance, comedy, magic...
Indoor Pool with Ocean ViewsIndoor Pool with Ocean Views
Indoor Pool with Ocean Views

The ship is kept in first-class condition, accommodating the daily schedules of thousands of passengers.
Mendenhall Glacier Outside JuneauMendenhall Glacier Outside Juneau
Mendenhall Glacier Outside Juneau

Less than 50 years ago the Glacier completely covered this current lake. Most of Alaska's glaciers are receding...
Downtown JuneauDowntown Juneau
Downtown Juneau

Cruise ships drop off thousands of tourist every day. Downtown is full of souvenir and jewelry shops. Juneau is a cute little town, built on hills, capital city. Did you know it's inaccessible from the rest of the state by road? The only way to here from Anchorage or other parts of the state is by plane or boat.
Every Totem Tells a Story Every Totem Tells a Story
Every Totem Tells a Story

These totem poles in a park outside Ketchikan were constructed by the native peoples mostly in the 19th century. Each pole tells a story known to the creators.
At Dolly's PlaceAt Dolly's Place
At Dolly's Place

In the past this was a bordello in Ketchikan. Now it's a museum dedicated to those good old days...


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb