One Week in Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 16th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ireland in one week

Dublin to Cork to Galway to Dublin and home.

Grafton Street in DublinGrafton Street in DublinGrafton Street in Dublin

One of the most popular shopping streets in Dublin
So in mid-July (2009) we spent one week in Ireland - (enough to just scratch the surface) but what a wonderful country! Evi and Howie, Melanie, Gadi, and my brother Joel and his daughter Stephanie were packed somewhat comfortably in a small minivan, traveling along the narrow country roads of Ireland for a week. We formed a triangle connecting Dublin, Cork and Galway, and got a very good feel for the country. Yes, I'd love to go back.

* People: Warm, friendly, helpful, willing to go out of their way to show the way or explain some history.

* Weather: We traveled in mid July but the average temps hit only rarely 20 C max (68F), and it seemed to rain a bit of every day. Some countries lie smack dab in the midst of a rain-creating region, and Ireland is one of the wettest I've seen, which leads to...

* Natural Beauty: Ireland is beautiful, lush landscape, lakes, mountains, and rivers, like a cool jungle.

* Food and Drink: Fine restaurants, great pubs, music, beer, friendly people, what's not to like? Oh, the high cost - it's expensive and not a great rate of $$ vs.
Arriving over DublinArriving over DublinArriving over Dublin

Photo from the airplane on landing at 8 AM.
Euros.

* Highways: Many of the roads are barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other, let alone at 50 miles per hour with no center line, on a rain-slicked road. I had to get used to drive on the left and shift gears with my left hand. Yes, it's dangerous to drive there, especially when coming from a right-side driving country, (especially after a spell at the PUB!).

All in all, one of the greatest short vacations we've had.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Over the Liffey RiverOver the Liffey River
Over the Liffey River

that separates Dublin in half
O'Connell StreetO'Connell Street
O'Connell Street

Dublin's main thoroughfare.
Dublin PubsDublin Pubs
Dublin Pubs

Are great!
Oh, such choices!Oh, such choices!
Oh, such choices!

Howie stuck with a dilemma!
By the Rivers of KilkennyBy the Rivers of Kilkenny
By the Rivers of Kilkenny

Melanie and Stephanie, Joel, Evi, Gadiel, and Howie outside the Castle in the medieval city of Kilkenny. Why so many 'Kil' cities in Ireland? (because Kil is Gaelic for 'old church')
Belvedere Lodge in CorkBelvedere Lodge in Cork
Belvedere Lodge in Cork

Located on Lower Glanmire Road, east of Cork, a warm and friendly place with a great breakfast!
Bed and Breakfasts...Bed and Breakfasts...
Bed and Breakfasts...

Are great! at the Belvedere Lodge
In a Church tower in CorkIn a Church tower in Cork
In a Church tower in Cork

Mel and Steph fight the rain
View over CorkView over Cork
View over Cork

from the Church tower
In KinsaleIn Kinsale
In Kinsale

A small harbor town on the southern coast, south of Cork. This town is known for its fine restaurants.
Hold the TrafficHold the Traffic
Hold the Traffic

Wait for the bikers to pass.
Hold the TrafficHold the Traffic
Hold the Traffic

Wait for the cows to pass
In the west coast countrysideIn the west coast countryside
In the west coast countryside

Country roads are verryy narrow, often just wide enough for two cars to pass; don't forget to drive on the left and shift with your left hand!
In the BurrenIn the Burren
In the Burren

Dramatically beautiful volcanic rock formations along the Atlantic Coast in the west.
In the middle of the roadIn the middle of the road
In the middle of the road

Gadi and Evi have plenty of time on their hands.
In RoundstoneIn Roundstone
In Roundstone

This small seaside village, located in the far west of the country, is sometimes called "the Heart of the Connemara"


17th July 2009

3 hands
Hallo Howard, Thank you for this interesting blog. If you had 3 hands, you would be able to test 3 bears at once ! Cherio !
17th July 2009

Thanks and welcome back
It sounds like a great trip. We have just returned from a three week road/rafting trip Montana. More later. Alissa
18th July 2009

4 hands!
Sweet picture, daddio. Good story telling and whatnot. I'm up to 550 pictures so far. Ugh!
18th July 2009

Nice blog dad! Pretty much sums it up!!! Was a great trip.
24th July 2009

Nice piccy's Howie,got a bit of a tan ,didn't think the sunshine was that strong in Ireland
24th July 2009

Sunshine in Ireland?
Peter: Great to hear from you - I got the color in California but Ireland was grey most of the time. Hope to see you in your home environment some day. Howard and Evi
24th January 2010

cork photos
fantastic photos.. superb.. especially of Cork.. ( the REAL Capital of Ireland ) did you airbrush out the rain?? ha, ha.. Don't know if you visited Cobh ( or queens-town as it was known when the British Forces were here ) but if you didn't you missed something special.. Last port of call for the ill fated Titanic.. now some cork slang.. hows it goin.. (how are you) hes a langer ( a fool ) Pana ( St. Patrick street Cork City ) Manky ( dirty ) see you later ( goodbye ) me owl doll ( my girlfriend ) sound as a bell ( someone to be trusted ) handy boy ( good fighter ) me gaff ( my home ) i will ya ( no way ) shes a lasher, a fine half, ( shes a good looking woman )etc etc.. best wishes... Again photos 5 STAR..
30th January 2010

Cork Photos
Dear Kieran, Thank you for your compliments on my photos. Ireland was a beautiful country to visit, even for too short of a time.

Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb