Travelling northbound on Route 101


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 15th 2023
Published: October 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We had originally made plans to travel south along 101 at the beginning of our trip, however the weather was not with us thwre were 35 feet waves crashing the shores and high winds, which is why we headed south and east.

Imagine a 364 mile journey through one of Americas great wonderland, with wind sculptured coastlines, historic lighthouses and bridges, and world class recreational activities at nearly every mile post. This is the Oregon coastal road.

The fact that we arrived at the same time as warmer weather and a long holiday weekend turned out to be a bonus. The coast experiences the wettest and windiest of the weather in Oregon, making for a dramatic coast line.

As a result of all this weather the whole of the coastline is dotted with lighthouses dating back to the 1800s and some weird place names given by historic namesakes as well as stunning geological features.

We got to experience the Oregon coastal weather today that makes this coast so beautiful yet treacherous. The day started with sun and warm weather, by lunchtime the sea fog appeared quickly making the sea and coast line disappear.

Stopping off at Muriel O Ponsler state park for headland views of the ocean, Neptune state park where we walked on the beach. Cape Perpetua a 2700 acre wonderland in the Siuslaw forest. Crashing waves, tide pools, rocky outcrops and sandy beaches.
Here we saw the Devil's churn or now known as Thors Well. A photographer took the picture and renamed it Thors Well which went viral and is now a top visitor spot.
A huge hole filled below by the sea allowing it to fill with sea water and exit like a geyser before receding back down the hole.
A quick lunch stop at Ocean View road Yatchats a pretty coastal seaside town. The benefit of having your home on wheels is you can stop anywhere for lunch, coffee or a break with amazing views. No car parks and cafes for us.

Next stop Waldport. Not as picturesque as Yatchats, described as a quiet village of 2400 people where forest meets sea. What it does have is the "new" Alsea Bay Bridge completed in 1991, the original was built in 1936. The first and large coastal bridge designed by Conde McCullough to be replaced.
Conde McCullough is responsible for most of these coastal bridges along this coastline.

The weather was getting worse so we decided to head inland.

We've tried our best to stay off grid and in as a natural settings as we can. This often means using National Forests or state forest parks. Some need pre booking others are first come gets a spot. With this in mind and a quick look at the map we headed for another "Little Switzerland " in the Siuslaw forest.
20 miles inland we arrived at beautifully named Blackberry National forest campsite. 😍
Great decision, we were met by sunshine ,clear skies and a river full of salmon jumping. Our accommodation for $29 a night.
We chatted to people fishing and saw 1 fish get away and a not so shabby 18 inch long salmon which got thrown back in.
Another opportunity to have another campfire, toast more marshmallows have a few beers and watch the stars come out.
As I'd retreated into the van Keith had a wild cat visitor, passing by the van round the fire and off towards the river.

Another day full of wonderful sights and experiences.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 1.507s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb