Three Capes, an Island and a fish n chip dinner


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
October 8th 2023
Published: October 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Blackberry National forest campsite we headed back to the coast where the weather had brightened up and we had a full sunny day ahead of us.

It's great wild camping but you still need to dump and top up with water every few days. After finding a dump and some potable water we were set again to go carry on with our travels.

More beaches, lighthouses, stunning scenery and surprises today.

We drove through Newport to Yaquina Bay lighthouse and on to Yaquina Head lighthouse and state Park.
Yaquina head lighthouse at 93 feet tall the tallest lighthouse continues to cast its light with the original lens in place.

We had lunch in the moho overlooking Pebble beach which we descended to via a staircase.
Pebble beach is exactly that pebbles. It also has one of the largest common murre colonies on the coast.

We passed through Cape Foulweather named in 1778 by Captain Cook originally from the North East of England. Winds here can reach 100 mph during storms.
He named it as it took him 2 days to moor his ship.

The weather was dry and sunny, we knew tomorrow was rain so we pressed on cramming as much as we could into the day.

Through Depoe Bay famous for whale watching in winter. Onto Otter rock for a view of the Devil's punchbowl. Not as impressive as Devil's Churn but it made up for amazing beach views and a great milkshake , coffee flavour for me raspberry for him.

Another stop at Anderson View point of landscape beaches and the roar of the Pacific ocean waves crashing on to the shore.
Next was the 3 Cs.
Cape Kirwanda, Cape Overlook and Cape Meares. Of course it is so scenic it has its own scenic byway. The three Capes scenic route.

On the look out for somewhere to camp that night we came across Sand Lake recreation area, a natural estuary opening on to the sea. So flat you can see the incoming tide move quickly.
The US forest service operates a camp site here so it was a no brainer not to secure a spot here.

We carried on deciding stop when we ran out of time or day light.
We stopped at Newarts not because we ran out of daylight or time but because of the enticing seafood restaurant situated right on the bay..
We have not had many dinners out during this trip as we've mostly been camped in the middle of nowhere.

Table for two with a view, we ordered oysters, fish and chips, beer for him Gin and Tonic cocktail for me followed by a pumpkin cheesecake with 2 spoons.

We headed back to Whalen Island to set up camp which was easy. We had the place to ourselves and chose a spot watching the tide flow in and wading birds feed in the bay. Mainly egrets and blue herons.
Not knowing if this would be our last opportunity to make a camp fire for toasting marshmallows we did.

Setting down to watch flames dance, stars appear in the sky and listening to the waves land on the shore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb