Yellowstone National Park/Helena


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Setting off early yet again, myself and Marcus drove from Cody to the east entrance of Yellowstone, to encounter a bizarre change in weather; it must have dropped 20 degrees F as soon as you went across the checkpoint and there was alot of fog and snow still left from the winter. Unfortunately there were roadworks for the first 6 miles or so into the park, so we and about 6 cars had to be taken through with a convoy vehicle before we descended onto the north of Yellowstone Lake. The weather improved as we drove across the park and we did get to see some wildlife, Bison and deer in particular.
Yellowstone is amazing and there are two loops you can take the north and the south, we chose the south as you get to see Old Faithful Geyser. This was one of the most amazing things I have seen in nature, not simply the eruption (every 92mins) but the surrounding river, other geysers and the different geological formations that make up the background to Old Faithfull.
After leaving the park via the West Entrance, we drove all the way upto Helena, Montana, arriving late afternoon. This State is a must for any serious hiker, there are so many mountains everywhere in this state (which is 146,000 sq miles) (UK is 94,000 sq miles), and it is very beutiful.
Helena is a small town of 30,000 people, but with the USA being so spread out, it just doesn't seem so small! Charles, whom I met at Marcus wedding and works in Helena gave us a quick tour and then he suggested we go to Boulder Hot Springs for a relaxing dip - I was not expecting this activity; but was yet another opportunity to indulge in a feature of the local hydrogeology and we had alot of fun before having some local beers in a saloon in Helena.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb