Exploring Yellowstone National Park


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park

Incredible views of a canyon from inspiration point
Up at 6AM today, one of our earliest days yet. We got ourselves ready and headed into Yellowstone National Park to explore again. First we headed to a few lookout points where you could see a huge waterfall pouring down into a stream in between the mountains a fantastic sight. Jon then took us to do a hike around an area of Yellowstone which wasn’t particularly interesting. We walked to a still lake through fields with some buffalo then met Jon for the walk back to the van a different way. There wasn’t really too much to see and we thought it was only a couple of miles but it seemed to go on and on for ages. We finally all made it back to the van and decided to go see some more volcanic type stuff as it was way more interesting. We went to see some huge steaming pools of boiling mud, some were deafening as the steam rushed out of caves that ran underground. We had a look at an area called the mud volcano and walked along the trail there before heading back to the van.

Jon really wanted to check out this geyser which only
Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park

Amazing views of the waterfall from a lookout point
explodes every 3-4 hours and is the highest spurting geyser in Yellowstone. He had been there three times before with trek groups but had never seen it. We parked the van and walked quite a way before we eventually reached it. People walking the other way told us it had just gone off and we were so disappointed. But we decided to hang around anyway for a while and see if we could bother waiting. We got out the cards and some of us played poker with rocks which kept us entertained for a while but waiting 3-4 hours was too much. We decided to head back to camp, cook dinner and have a few drinks. Afterwards we got ourselves ready because tonight we were partying with another trek group we hadn’t met before but were staying in the same campground. We went to their campsite and got absolutely smashed. I was incredibly drunk that night and really don’t remember much other than trying to jump over the campfire and Tina calling Jon’s mum because she lost the drinking game. We were up most of the night and I have no idea when we went to sleep.

Day 20:
Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park

Buffalo hanging around Yellowstone

Yellowstone National Park
0 MILES TRAVELLED // 3140 TOTAL
Grant Campground


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park
Yellowstone National Park

Bare field with a still lake in the background during our hike
Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park
Yellowstone National Park

Steaming puddles of boiling mud in Yellowstone
Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park
Yellowstone National Park

Dragons Mouth Spring, pouring steam out with a deafening sound
Yellowstone National ParkYellowstone National Park
Yellowstone National Park

Waiting for Lone Star Geyser to erupt again


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb