we're going down to jackson


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson Hole
July 30th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rachel's Blog

the day started off by me and emma sleeping untill 10:30. then we went down to jackson hole. dad finally got his sweatshirt!!!!! yea dad!!!!
difficult emma took 15 minutes getting a drink from the pepsi maachine. i got a new t-shirt. emma couldnt find one that she liked.

we went into this one shop, there was stuffed animals(ones that were once alive) every where!!!!! there was some racoons in canoos!!!! buffalo, bears and there was the best thing ever there, it was............... BIG FOOT!!!!!!!!!!! yes big foot was there. i have a picture of him....... but..... i cant put it on here. sorry!!!!!


Amy and Shawn:

You knew it was going to be a good day when Amy offers to drive down to Jackson and back. Wow how could I pass up an offer like that.
Jackson was a neat town, although i don't know who could afford to live or shop at any of the stores. Our book summed it up best when it said it was a blend of cowboys, rich, new rich and tourist. So we got t and sweatshirts and ice cream. We did stop at Snake River Brewery upon the Dunn's recommendation, and it was good. The girls split a bowl of pasta with meatballs made from elk, bison, and some other western animal. Being that Amy likes seafood, I thought she might want to try the only seafood item on the menu, Rocky Mountain Oysters, but she wasn’t in the mood for seafood. Oh, well so much for trying the local fare.

We followed up our huge meal with a trip down the Alpine Slide, it basically is a sled/luge and you sit on it to control how fast you go downhill. The girls loved it and went down twice and probably would have the rest of the day.

After a long day in Jackson we headed back to our campground, on the way home we say a small herd of bison. We were all looking forward to getting cleaned up and hanging out by the fire. As we pulled in our camp site we saw another notice on our door, we all looked at each other to see if someone had left out any coolers or eating utensils, like the day before. That would have been fine it that were the case, but unfortunately it was worse news: you could not use the bathrooms or the showers. Upon further inspection by detective Amy and Rachel, there was a sewer main break and there was no water in the entire campground so you could not even dump your stuff from your camper either.

What to do? Well in true Starkey fashion when the going gets tough, the tough get going, or in this case the Starkey’s leave. We packed up with everyone’s help and were on the road in 30 minutes to the Rodeo Capital of the US. Cody, Wyoming, population 8648. salute!

The trip out of the park was so different than being at the park during the day time. There was next to no traffic and everything seemed at a slower pace, next time we will stay in the park to take advantage of this option. We almost saw a bear by the time we (18 feet of suburban and 28 feet of trailer) stopped we were past the bear sighting. A guy was hanging out of his car taking picture and said it was a black bear. We turned around at the nearest point we could but the guy and the bear were gone. Oh well, Amy and Rachel said they saw something black and moving in the woods so we will count it on our animal sheet.

We pulled into Cody about 11:00, and looked forward to a day of doing nothing until the Rodeo. We have internet, and Rachel was so happy to have cell phone service. OMG!!!!!! Amy was happy to see a WalMart in town so we could buy some affordable groceries! After paying $7 for a box of cereal and $5 for a small jar of peanut butter in Jackson Hole, we need some of Sam Walton's bargains!


Advertisement



31st July 2008

Intense Moments
Another intense moment!! No water - no sewer - although this one was a little less expensive. Glad to hear that all is going well. I think everyone on this blog site is enjoying your travels along with you. Look forward to your continued messages.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb