trying to get to Hill City from Cody


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow, what a day, what a day, it felt like the day and road would never end.
We pulled out of Cody, Wy. at 10:00 am and took a “short cut” (from Amy’s Badin friend) and ended in the small town of population…….and I am not lying 100, salute. After getting back to the “highway” we started to go up hill, I should say up mountain. The Big Horn Mountains, top out at 13,000 plus feet, I think we were driving at 10,000 feet. It took us about 2 hours to get through the Big Horn Mountain average speed about 25-30 miles per hour. Then we had to go down the mountains….I didn’t need to worry about having enough power to move my family, I was now worried about having enough braking power.

Apparently shifting down to D 2 on the transmission was not enough to keep the vehicle and trailer at a slow speed. The grade was at 7% and we were doing 50 mph. Hindsight would say to apply more brake from the trailer, but that’s hindsight. Long scary drive downhill resulted in some brake smoke from the rear tires. Was it the Beatles who said “It’s getting better all the time”, well driving part could be debatable. We finally arrived in Hill City, South Dakota at 11:00 pm. The day couldn’t have been any longer or stress full. We are at the Rafter J Ranch on the recommendation of the Grimes. It is a great place and the girls are planning on going horseback riding.
The only stress free part of the day was stopping at Devil’s Tower. We saw some people attempting to climb the tower and some stop and come back down. We voted on staying on the ground and living vicariously through others.
Thursday we plan on seeing Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st August 2008

WE ARE NOT ALONE
All- Glad to see you are enjoying a place I visted back in the late 70's. I made some interesting friends abck then. Did you have a close encounter of your own? Close Encounter of the First Kind - Sighting of a UFO. Close Encounter of the Second Kind - Physical Evidence. Close Encounter of the Third Kind - Contact.
1st August 2008

who is the bigger nerd?
Amy did not get it but I did..............................

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb