Hot Hiking


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
June 30th 2008
Published: March 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It is finally summer in Seattle.....we had a free weekend, again! After the challenging but not very interesting hike off of I-90 the week before, I was excited to head towards Highway 2 off of Stevens Pass, where some of the most beautiful lakes and views can be found. So off we went with our friend Brook, to Lake Serene, one of my very favorite, "I-don't-know-where-to-go" hikes; I am always rewarded with beautiful views and a good workout. Switchbacks and endless stairs lead to a clear, vivid aqua blue glacier lake. Bridal Veil Falls, about 1.25 miles in, keeps motivation high.

We decided to head up early and arrived around 8am. There were only about a half-dozen cars, more than expected, but fine nonetheless. Within two steps, we were all drenched in sweat. We followed the sound of the waterfall and were soon jumping from rock to rock through little creeks throughout the first mile and a half. Just past the turn-off to the 1/2 mile trail to Bridal Veil Falls, the trail dropped down a little bit, leading us to a beautiful cascading waterfall; the mist cooled our heated and sweaty skin. It was tempting to stay right there, but the image of a large blue lake beckoned. About 2.5 miles in, the climb began--endless stairs paved the switchbacks leading to the lake. It wasn't long before we spotted snow. The air was still warm despite the snow. We crunched our way across the last stretch; the lake was covered in 2 or 3 feet of ice. Little patches of blue showed through at the edge of the lake where the snow was beginning to melt. Everywhere we looked, there was more snow. Brook asked if we passed Lunch Rock--I said I didn't think so and continue to make my way across the quickly melting snow. We climbed around a tree and down. I reached across and clambered onto Lunch Rock--which was covered mainly in spring run-off. There was enough dry rock for us to rest our feet and eat an early lunch before heading back down. I stretched out on the hot stone for a little nap. Before I knew it, an hour had passed and it was time to head back to the car.

Our descent went much more quickly then the descent--partly because I wasn't stopping to take five million pictures. I had to stop in the middle of waterfall again, it was so cool and scenic. Even though we were hiking down, it was now noon, and hotter than when we started out. We were surprised to see so many people hiking up at this time of day--but I could hardly blame them. The number of cars had doubled in the parking lot, and more cars were pulling in still. As we traded our hiking boots for Chacos, plans were already being made for our next outdoor venture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb