Ringing in the New Year


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Maple Falls
January 9th 2010
Published: January 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our New Years plans were 3 nights at a cabin in Glacier, Washington with 8 of our friends, which is about 25 minutes away from Mt. Baker (which is the closest place to stay at Mt. Baker), and hopefully 3 days of snowboarding. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate on the snowboarding side of things and it was really wet and heavy snow, so we only got one day of snowboarding in. But it was still a super fun time.

We arrived to the cabin on New Years eve, after a grocery and beer stock up stop in Bellingham. The cabin was beautiful, it was brand new with a huge kitchen, windows looking out to the mountains, air hockey table, and a hot tub (although that only seemed to work the last night we were there...). We had a big lasagna dinner on New Years Even, followed by some drinks, some intense games of Jenga and Yahtzee, and then the pants incident happened. Think Brett was trying to take some pointers back from our friend Tarra who had ripped her jean skirt right up the front on the ferry over to Magnetic island a few months back (see blog from September 28, 2009 Dingo Beach and Maggie Island). Somehow or another, well actually, a leg being lifted up onto a railing, and next thing we all hear was a big RRRRRIP and Brett's 2 week old jeans had ripped up the front. Was some quality jean material! Anyways, that proceeded to lead to all sorts of different items being made out of parts of Brett's jeans, and of course, it was the only pair of pants he had brought for the 3 days... Of course...

The rain on New Years Day on the mountain didn't have to many of us to keen to go get super wet, so we just spent the day around Glacier, walking around, checking out alot of the old cabins that most of us lived for a few winters back in the day, and then more Yahtzee, Monopoly and a few movies. The next couple nights were a bit more tame, but we all had a super good time, and it was great to hang out with everyone again.

We did manage one day of snowboarding, or more like half a day, as the snow was really heavy. Brett only did 2 runs and the 15" of Mt Baker Cement was a bit to heavy for his leg. Had the snow been lighter his leg probably would have been fine, but was the worst condidtions he could have had for his first time snowboarding since his broken femur. We were finding it a bit cold too, a bit different than in your bathing suit for a surf at the beach!

After the New Years trip, we spent the final few days catching up with a few more people, had a BBQ at Brett's parents, went to a hockey game which was so fun, and we both managed to pick up a cold the last couple days we were there. Think we were a bit run down!

It was amazing to think we had spent 5 1/2 weeks back in Vancouver and how fast it went. In some ways it did seem like were there awhile, and then in others it was a total whirlwind. Not sure where the time went. Before we knew it we were back at the airport, kind of going "What just happened??!". It was so great to catch up with our families and our friends, now we are just trying to convince them all to come for a visit...


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb