Historic Issaquah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Issaquah
June 16th 2018
Published: July 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Old town Issaquah is beautiful, historical and artistic. The city is rather small with a population of only 37.5 thousand people and is interestingly divided into two by interstate 90 bisecting the old and new. The old is in a valley, while the new is raised up the valley floor giving one a beautiful view of the Sammamish Plateau. To the south is the mountainous Issaquah Alps, funny that it is called the alps, but you have to see it to know -Oh, and you really have to know what the Swiss Alps look like to make a comparison. Its one of the towns I, intend to tour more of.

A few points of interest for those who might want to visit;

1. The Issaquah Depot museum; The city’s train depot was built in 1889, and now holds a museum with exhibits that explore the industrial revolution, travel, communication, and the early economic development of Issaquah.

2. Gilman Townhall Museum; Built in, 1886, the Gilman Town Hall features a permanent exhibit called “In This Valley: The Story of Our Town,” which uses photographs, artifacts, and interactive elements to explore different aspects of Issaquah’s past.

3.Main street issaquah has so much to offer; The heart of Issaquah is full of small, local businesses, talented artists and performers who spend countless hours rehearsing, painting and refining their works to show off their talents to the public.

4. Restaurants, pubs and bars

5.Issaquah History Museum

6. Art sculptures around the city including the famous Salmon hatchery.

7. Issaquah Valley trolley; the depot museum hosts the popular valley trolley from May through September every year.

8. Alexander House: Once a familiar landmark on the east shore of Lake Sammamish, this house was built by Thomas and Caroline Alexander in 1902 on land which was known for most of the century as Alexander’s Resort. Thomas Alexander had earlier been the “walking boss” - also known as the traveling construction supervisor, for the Seattle, Lakeshore and Eastern Railway.

9. Boehm's Candies: Who doesn't like sweets and candies? this is an authentic Alpine Chalet, Boehm’s Candies, Inc. It has a history as unique as any of the one hundred and fifty types of chocolate and other confectioneries manufactured on its premises. A must stop at if you are to leave the city with 'sweet memories'


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb