A day to remember with friends in the country and in the saddle....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
September 28th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tysons Corner to Warrenton


Dawn broke at Tysons Corner near DC and we were up early keen to get to our destination for the day and night with Mary and Ron at Warrenton about 40 miles away.
Had a light breakfast as Mary had suggested that she would have a brunch ready for us.
We headed out thru the suburbs and on the way came across a garden centre that was full on Halloween with pumpkins of all sizes you could ever want plus all types of decorations appropriate to the upcomng festiaval day.So we had to take photos and video to preserve for the future.The street we had stopped in had some amazing homes and although there were heaps of green trees but nothing much in the way of gardens one would see at home.
We then got onto Interstate 66 and headed west towards Wrrenton and were there in pretty quick time.I don't think we surprised Mary and Ron by arriving too much before the time we thought we might be there.
It was great to see Mary again and also to meet her husband Ron for the first time.They have two labrador dogs who were adorable and well behaved.
She had a delicious brunch ready for us and then it was off out to look at the area before a trail ride at the Marriot Ranch.The land in this area is gently rolling hills with many of the homes on acre lots or larger so you dont see houses on top of each other.
After a drive we arrived at the ranch and along with about 20 others signed the waiver that would absolve the ranch should anything happen to us on the trail !!!
Everyone filed out to the corral and one by one the horses were lined up and riders chosen by the wranglers(all females).Mary was first of our group to get her horse and then Gretchen got "the Golden Palomino"called Freddie and she was quickly in the saddle.I never did find out the name of my horse but he was chosed for me because he was a docile sort which was just as well as this was my first time in the saddle....so to speak.
After a list of instructions from the lead wrangler including a warning not to let go of the reins under any circumstances as they were our only means of control of our horse ,we set off in single file at a slow but steady walk.This all seemed very easy and my fears were overcome !!Then it was onto a downhill slope and it seemed like Neds(my name for my horse) legs were a bit unsteady and I kept looking down to see how far it was to fall and also imagine what would happen to my feet still in the stirrups and me disappearing over Neds rump.We followed a trail thru the woods and across several stream crossings and before we knew it we were on an uphill path with the corral in sight.Dismounting was easy with the aid of the steps although making ones legs come together after 90 minutes spread-eagled on the back of a horse took a few steps.
It had been a great experience probably for me more than Gretchen as she used to ride horses as a young girl but for me it was the first time I had been on the back of a horse.
We all agreed with Marys suggestion that some wine tasting was in order so we headed off to a winery not too far distant.The first one we visited was in bankrutcy and the place looked like it.The wines were not that great although the charddonay wasnt too bad.Decided not to buy and we headed off to Rppahannock Wines which was in sharp contrast to the Oasis winery.The girl that attended to us was very knowlegable about the tastings she offered and we ended upo buying a charddonay and a bottle of an interesting blend of 3 varities .
It had been a great afternoon and we headed home to freshen up before going out to inner downtown Warrenton at a new restaurant that was sited in an old bank building.I think Mary thought I would feel at home dining there !!!
The food was wonderful and it was the first time I could ever recall being asked how I wanted my choice of pork meddalion cooked.The medium rare was just perfect.Gretchen opted for the scallops which she said were delicious.
Great choice Mary and Ron for our best meal of this trip so far!!
Even tough we had spent most the day talking about this and that and everything in between we had a nightcap of one of the wines we had purchased from Rappahannock and then it was time to call it a day.
And so our most memorable day on this trip came to an end with wonderful friends we hope will one day come to be our guests in NZ.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb