Burlington


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Burlington
July 13th 2021
Published: July 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

https://www.heygo.com/aaronandpatrick

Burlington was chartered in 1763 and named for the Burling family, who were pioneer landowners. Settlement began in 1773 with the opening of a sawmill and shipbuilding business. Burlington was a military post, and during the war of 1812.

Battery Park was the site of several engagements between land batteries and British warships on the lake.

In the mid-20th century the city’s economy changed from one based on manufacturing to one dependent on service industries, including tourism. Manufactures include aircraft armaments, concrete products, food service equipment, snowboards, plastic monofilaments, and maple syrup.



From a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, to far-off places with names we sometimes mispronounce, the journey that began in 1978 with 2 guys and the ice cream business they built is as legendary as the ice cream is euphoric.

With a $5 correspondence course in ice cream-making from Penn State and a $12,000 investment ($4,000 of it borrowed), Ben and Jerry open their first ice cream scoop shop.



Flavor Graveyard located on the grounds of their factory in Waterbury, Vermont.

Opened in 1997, the memorial to bygone flavors was originally an online-only affair, until a
handful of resin headstones were mocked up and planted on a hill behind the factory. Like a pet cemetery for punny ice cream recipes, each grave marker was given a clever epitaph that summed up the life and death of the flavor. Dearly de-pinted flavors (Ben & Jerry’s term) include fan favorites like Turtle Soup, Fossil Fuel, and of course, Wavy Gravy. Some of the flavors ended up in the ground due to bad sales, while others met stranger fates such as White Russian, which was discontinued due to the increasing price of Kahlua flavoring. Each of the headstones also bears the birth and death dates of the flavors, which paint a grim picture of infant mortality among ice creams.

According to their site, there are 34 flavors interred in the Ben & Jerry’s boneyard.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb