Wed 18th June - Zion national Park


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6am on the road by 7am heading to Zion National Park ($25 but we had our pass). Had breakfast from the food we had in the chilli bin in the car, sunscreened everything and took the shuttle bus from the visitors centre at just after 10am to the end stop 'Temple of Sinawava'. The trip there was dreadful because they were doing roadworks and what should have been 45 minutes took 2 hours, was about 34 deg and hotter on the bus. We drank a bottle of water, so glad to leave that vechile.

Did the 'Riverside Walk' following the Virgin River alng the bottom of Narrow Canyon. Which is 1 mile long - nice walk. Changed into my jandals and headed up stream in the river. Was about calf deep and lovely and cool. i had to stop as my footing wasnt that great in the jandals, Mike in his Tevas kept going furtherand got some really good photos. if we had known we would have hired the gear in Springfield and done the 10 miles. It was spectacular and loved every minute.

Dried my feet (good old katmandu towel), put on the runners, got the shuttle to a Bend for a photo stop of the peaks, on again and off at the Zion Lodge for lunch, we were starving, all American food, hotdogs and drinks under the shade of a tree was heaven.
Back on the shuttle and off at 'Court of the Patriachs' and walked the 100 yards up for a poto. On the bus again to the museum, watched a 22min film. Took photos of the Arch and 'Weeping Wall'About 42deg.
Back to the car, hit the water big time, hit the road for Bryce national Park by driving up the Zion park road to the Mt Zion - Carmel Highway.

Lots of photos and stopped to climb the wave rocks on the side of the road - just awesome. drove to the tunnel, had to wait 7 minutes (so hot) and after the 1 mile in the dark re entered the heat. Not far on stopped at 'Checkerboard'. drove and drove this country is so huge! The Americans must think NZ is a dot!

Mike very tired, so pulled in at Panguitch Junction at Harolds Cabins - our first log cabin ($83). Had dinner at the resturant, all home cooking and had a wonderful meal. Mike was delighted finally his steak was rare.

Jumped in the car and headed for Bryce to capture the sunset. Deer everwhere in this forest. Could not believe our eyes when we pulled up at Bryce Pint - just breath taking! seems everything in America just gets bigger and more startling.

After the sun set we drove to Sunrise Point to check it out for tomorrow morning.

Drove back to the log cabin. had a nice long cool vodie with 'ice! had finally got a phone card at the Bryce Visitors centrre and was really looking forward to speaking to the girls - but, the phone outside the office not working. Gutted.

Bed - will be up early tomorrow as we planned roughly what we could do - to few hours in the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb