Leaving Red Rock Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
May 17th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Miatas at overlook on Dolores RiverMiatas at overlook on Dolores RiverMiatas at overlook on Dolores River

Here we are at an overlook in Colorado.
My time in Moab and Red Rock country is winding down.

Sunday I did a 280 mile run with 25 other Miata friends “around” the La Sal Mountains into Colorado. It was a beautiful day for a top down drive. We stopped for lunch at Gateway Canyons. It is about 50 miles south of Grand Junction. The resort was developed by John Hendricks who founded the Discovery Channel. There is a nice car museum in the resort.

We had to drive on the ‘super slab’ (I-70) for a short distance from Grand Junction into Utah before turning off on Utah 128 and a drive along the Colorado River.

While we were zipping along at 75 mph (the speed limit in Colorado and Utah) I was reminded of the T-shirt I saw on the Route 66 run which said “Friends don’t let Friends drive the Interstates”.

I met two nice couples from NC here in the campground at Moab. One couple is from the Outer Banks and the other is from the Winston-Salem area. This afternoon while walking in downtown Moab and saw a guy with an NC State Wolfpack T-shirt. Yes I stopped and chatted with them.
Panoramic view of Dolores RiverPanoramic view of Dolores RiverPanoramic view of Dolores River

This was the view from the overlook we stopped at about 30 miles from Gateway.
They were from Raleigh.

Today was a relaxing, laid back, catch up day around the RV. I did laundry, cleaned, and began to organize and put things away. After going downtown this afternoon I got Taz loaded on the trailer for the short drive over to Grand Junction Tuesday.

That’s it from Moab. I’m looking forward to seeing southern Colorado as I begin the journey back to NC.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

1932 Auburn Boattail1932 Auburn Boattail
1932 Auburn Boattail

This was just one of the great cars in the Gateway Auto Museum. They also had a muscle car gallery with a 1971 Orange Pontiac GTO Judge.
View from Gateway Canyons ResortView from Gateway Canyons Resort
View from Gateway Canyons Resort

Miata friends, if you get the Flyin' Miata catalog, take a look at the cover of the spring/summer 2010 catalog. Elvis (a Corvettte powered Miata) is on the cover with this same red rock formation in the background.
Fisher TowersFisher Towers
Fisher Towers

This is a view along the Colorado River on Scenic Route 128. Fisher Towers and the La Sal Mountains are visible.
Colorado River little planet viewColorado River little planet view
Colorado River little planet view

I decided to play around with the image along the Colorado River using some Photoshop techniques.


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb