How kind is mankind, really?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Cedar City
May 15th 2006
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 12 (5/15/06) Minersville, UT to Cedar City, UT
Total Miles 40.7 (815.7mi to date)

We had a nice early start this morning and really quite enjoyed the climb and ride into Cedar City. We were in town by 11am so we managed to beat the heat on the way in. It was just a short climb up and then a windy ride down. We were excited to have such a short ride today after that 100+mi we did yesterday. We have been on the road for a while now and have decided to take our first rest day here in Cedar City before we head out into the amazing lands of southern Utah. Our route out of Cedar City takes us 18 miles on Rt14 as we gain over 5000'ft of elevation on a two lane road blasted from the rock, it will probably be the hardest climb of the trip and it may take us a whole day to do it. On a sad note, today was Tris' last day riding with us. He has family obligations so he will be flying home tomorrow morning while we have our first proper rest day. We hope to see him in the near future and it's been amazing living with him and sharing our adventures for the last year. As to the title of the post the answer is VERY KIND. We went to the local University Outdoor Recreation Center in order to see if they knew of anyone willing to house a few x-country bikers and of course people got excited and gave us some phone numbers and next thing you know it Jason and his wife Cindy who own an apartment complex in town said they had a vacant apartment that we could use while in town and an extra car if we needed to go anywhere! How amazing is that. We are so very grateful to them for this help, it makes the rest day worth it. I hope this post finds everyone well and happy and we will post again in the near future. Oh and sorry I cannot make the picture thing work for whatever reason so I imagine you will receive an email with the location of pictures if I can figure it out. We also reached another milestone today in that we have finally finished two Adventure Cycling maps!! It won't be long now until we get to write the celebratory 1000mile blog!!! Ah but first there is that climb out of Cedar City....

Advertisement



16th May 2006

No Las Vegas??
I sent you today tel nos. of our friends in Las Vegas, but never mind. If you ever bike to Long Island, you always can stay with us. We enjoy reading your jurnal. We want to see some pictures, if not now,then when you return home. Be safe. JJK
16th May 2006

Your trip sounds awesome! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures and seeing the pictures!
22nd May 2006

nuts
Hey I first thought you guys were nuts attempting this trip sans any training, but looks like your pulling it off. It's great to hear such great stories about life in small town USA. Looking forward to your next blog. I hope to see some pics when you get to Philly.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb