Its all about the great National Parks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
April 8th 2010
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 8th April
Zion National Park to Bryce Canyon National Park
We made if to the local 'caff' as planned and feasted on breakfast bagels while we posted our photos and the next installment of the trog (travel blog). After the blazing sun of Zion we certainly didn't expect our next stop to be at a campground where at least half of the sites were still covered in snow, but that's where we found ourselves. The temperatures were an average 22/23 degrees C but in places there was still a few feet of snow. You can see the volume of snow from the photo of our attempt to walk the rim of the canyon - if you stepped out of the compacted snow, you ended up calf deep (Jonathan) or knee deep (Lucille)!

We had planned to walk down to the bottom of the canyon and get closer to the hoodoos but decided against it because of the conditions. It was a wise decision. A stop at the visitor centre later that afternoon informed us that most of the Canyon trails were closed and of those that were open, snowshoes were recommended!

The contrast of climates we're visiting really became apparent today - neither of us expected it to be so varied. As I'm writing this, we're driving through desert but a couple of miles off to the right is a snow covered mountain range! The marshmallows got opened this evening, as did the Sangria and we spent a lovely couple of hours round the fire putting the world to rights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb