Washington on the Brazos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
January 15th 2011
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Meeting hallMeeting hallMeeting hall

The convention was held in an unfinished meeting hall with blankets over where the windows should be to keep out the cold.
January 12 Washington on the Brazos
Went to Washington on the Brazos as part of my checking out historical sites in central Texas. This was the location where the mostly American settlers declared independence from Mexico. This happened in winter so I considered it appropriate to visit the site in winter. I was not disappointed as it was seriously cold and windy. The convention was held in an unfinished meeting hall with blankets over where the windows would be on a ferry crossing of the Brazos River. The Texans were in something of a hurry as they had to get the job done and clear out as Santa Anna and the Mexican army was approaching after finishing off the Alamo defenders in San Antonio. Also they had heard how the Texans at Goliad had been massacred after honorably surrendering to the Mexican army there. Of course when the Mexican army reach Washington on the Brazos they burned the town so the hall is a recreation on the same site.
There is a visitors center on the site with a museum as well as another museum that runs $5.00 to see.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Star of Texas museumStar of Texas museum
Star of Texas museum

There is a museum at the site you can attend for $5.00. It was seriously cold the day I attended.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb