Texas is lovely


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
March 20th 2010
Published: March 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Paul and LillyPaul and LillyPaul and Lilly

Rest Stop along Route 10 between Houston and SanAntonio.

Texas is lovely!



We were not really thrilled to be driving all the way through the middle of Texas. When we started out today, I was really dreading having to drive through Houston. I’m not big on cities unless they are unique. For instance, New York, such a wonderful combination of old and new side by side and neighborhoods as different as China Town and Manhattan’s West Side. There is nothing you can’t find in New York; never boring and always charming. I was not expecting to say that about Houston, but what is unique about Houston, is that everything is new, huge and beautiful. The building are sky high and each one is unique; different materials but lots of glass and designs on the corners and above the windows. I spotted one old building, carefully preserved, but most new and sparkling. Looking at Houston from a distance made me want to drive right on in, walk up and down the streets and look at all those beautiful buildings close up. Alas, time restraints did not allow, plus we were afraid that if we got off the Interstate we wouldn’t find our way back!

As we left Houston, Interstate
RelaxingRelaxingRelaxing

RV Park in SanAntonio
10 improved considerably, it was smooth and the lanes were wide enough so that my stroke level was low. And, the further out we got the more beautiful the scenery; pasture land, sprinkled with spring flowers. We moved through what they call Hill Country where springs are right on the surface. The cattle are beautiful animals, the Texas long horns and the size of the ranches amazing (not surprised, after all, it is Texas). We saw five little black calves lying together with moms standing over them. The rest stops were great and we were in San Antonio by 5:00pm. We spotted two Crested Caracaras and Carolina Chickadee at the rest stop.

Traveler’s World Carefree RV Resort is a very nice place. We noticed this cool Mexican Restaurant across the street as we came in (Taqueria’s Guadalajara). Paul asked the ladies inside the RV Office if it was good. They replied “our husbands go there sometimes and they like it” - strange reply. When Paul repeated that to me I asked if it was perhaps a house of “ill repute”. To which he replied “where is your sense of adventure”. So, across the street we went and what a
Taqueria's GuadalajaraTaqueria's GuadalajaraTaqueria's Guadalajara

This restaurant is strongly recommended Amigos!
treat. My dinner was $3.95 and Paul’s was $4.95; both were super good - authentic! We shared a special Mexican dessert made only at Easter called Capriotada, it’s like a coconut bread pudding. My brother John and Susan both would have enjoyed it thoroughly. If we had eaten that meal in town on River Walk, we probably would have paid $50.

A thoroughly satisfying and fun day and so far we are fans of Texas! Tomorrow we are taking the bus into San Antonio to spend the day. We expect showers, but so what, we have slickers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



23rd March 2010

Glad the restaurant across the street wasn't what you thought it was...lol!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb