Biloxi Blowout (Really)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Biloxi
March 19th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Poor Wounded RVPoor Wounded RVPoor Wounded RV

Right before Bridge

Biloxi Blowout (Really)



Biloxi Blowout (Really)

POW!
It is an unbelievably loud sound; a blowout on the left front tire of the vehicle. The tire blew in Biloxi, on Route 10, right before we entered the bridge going over the Biloxi River. Thank goodness we were not already on the bridge. Paul wisely took his foot off the gas steadied the RV, braked gently, steered onto a wide shoulder and came to a complete stop. He insists that he learned that while taking the on-line comedy school for traffic violators after two many speeding tickets in 2005. I probably would have jammed on the brakes, gone over the rail and floated down the Biloxi River. No one hurt. just shaking hands and spiked blood pressures! We sat there for a few minutes before moving.

We called AAA who, in turn, called us a tow truck (big one) and were hauled across the bridge and two exits down to a Southern Tire Store. We had just had the tires checked out and even though they were six years old, everyone said they were in great shape with only 17 thousand miles of wear. We wanted to replace all of the tires with Bridgestone, but Southern Tire had only two of them. They put the two new tires on the RV (front) and called New Orleans to make sure they had four tires to replace the rears.

The tire blew about 1 pm and we were back on the road on our way to New Orleans by 4:30pm. We stopped for the night at Slidel and came into New Orleans this morning. We made Southern Tire at 8:45am and were back on the Road again by 11 am, a couple of thousand dollars poorer, but safe and sound with six new Bridgestone tires. I have only nice things to say about the people at Southern Tire, they were professional, knowledgeable and fast.

Momma said there’d be days like this, but my goodness, first the sliders and now the tires! It must be an anarchist conspiracy to keep suspicious folks out of the Country of Texas - they did secede, right? Damn, I forgot my passports; glad they didn’t stop me at the border.

My brother John also told me that Route 10 was the most awful concrete road anywhere. He experienced a blowout there himself. Right you
Poor RVPoor RVPoor RV

Notice the slant on the left hand side?
are John, the road, is terrible through Florida and Mississippi and most of the way through Louisiana... But let me tell you Route 90 in Louisiana is the worst road we have ever been on anywhere and we have been on many roads (lots of them together). The AAA book suggested that Route 90 from New Orleans to Layette was scenic and a good road. There was some pretty bayou country to look at, but we were bouncing up and down so much from the concrete plank, unpaved, roadway that you couldn’t enjoy it at all. Don’t do this one - ever! Paul says that if I ever hear him complain about a road in Florida I should smack him in the head. Isn’t it great that we are doing all this advance work for those of you who like to drive the Country?

There is a positive outcome for the day however, while we were waiting for the tow truck driver, I found this great little flower. I know it is in the rose family because it has five petals and leaves; any ideas?

Another plus was that Miss Lilly was such a brave little cat. She
Paul and LillyPaul and LillyPaul and Lilly

Waiting for Tow Truck Driver. Just set up the chairs and I made Tuna Salad for lunch!
waned to explore the woods and wasn’t scared at all. She is only scared of over-passes when she sits on the dash.

We are now in Texas - Oh No!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Flower FindFlower Find
Flower Find

What is it?
Biloxi RiverBiloxi River
Biloxi River

How would you like to float down that one - Tom Sawyer we are not!!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb