Return to USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Fort Worth
May 11th 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


May 7, Thursday

My first inclination was to return to Veracruz and register my displeasure, but I decided about all they could do would be to say sorry, and maybe clean up the bike which was still an oily mess. So instead of backtracking 2 hours, I pulled over at the first auto lavenderia, and the guys completely cleaned the oil off the bike, by hand, in an hour and 15 minutes for 150 pesos ( $10.50) On the way again, and I was soon riding through the northern "desert" in 105 degrees. What fun. I stopped a few times for gas and water, and made it to the border at Matamoras before sunset. it took about an hour to get across, counting dealing with the agents on both sides, and then I stopped at the Motel 6 on the north end of Brownsville TX about 9:30. I think this was the first 14 hour day.

May 8, Friday

After a stop at Wal-mart for some personal supples and a map of the US so I can see the big picture, I stopped at Denny's for breakfast and some computer time. Turns out Denny's has free wi-fi. I don't know if it's all of them, but that would be cool. A quick stop at the post office to mail the MOA mileage contest form which needed to be posted prior to May 11, and I headed north again towards Victoria TX. Another Motel 6 for the night. I hope to get some camping in soon. Tomorrow I'm heading for the Dallas area to see some folks I met at my nephew Daniel's wedding, and to see Daniel and Bliss Nelson, plus my own son Steve who's on the way to Indy.

May 9, Saturday

It's about 4 1/2 hours of actual riding from Victoria to Fort Worth where Daniel lives, but it took me about an hour extra due to breakfast at "The best breakfast in the world" and a haircut at a remodeled gas station barbershop. $10 for a haircut is a good haircut any day, and with a couple of stops for gas, I pulled into the driveway of Cyndi and Fred Janis for a visit. That evening I hooked up with Daniel and Bliss, and they offered to let Steve and I crash at their apartment. Bliss is expecting child number one in about 4 weeks, first granddaughter for my brother David. Steve arrived from the Grand Canyon at about 2:30 in the morning.

May 10, Sunday

Happy Mother's Day to all mother's reading this. I went out for breakfast with Steve as Daniel and Bliss took advantage of their one day off to sleep in late. Later everybody hung out together, and we went out for lunch. Cyndi and Fred invited us all over for supper.

May 11, Monday

Up and on the road by 9:00 this morning, in a little bit of misty rain. The further east I went, the harder it rained, even though I had hoped to be able to stay south of the ugly stuff. A bit of on and off rain, then approaching Shreveport LA, it really started to come down hard, so I decided since I didn't have anywhere in particular I had to get to, it was time to pull over. I took advantage of a good deal at a hotel/casino boat which had undercover parking for the bike. This is only the second time since January 31 that I've actually had to ride in rain for any real length of time. Pretty good so far. Unfortunately, it looks like rain the next few days where I'm headed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb