Down and out in Music City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
March 15th 2011
Published: March 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately, it was too cold and miserable to camp so I hostelled it. For those of you not in the know, this is a place where a variety of transients congregate for the cheapest available bed. A free breakfast of oatmeal was included in the deal but you had to cook it yourself and provide the brown sugar or whatever else you might like to have with it. My flatmates were the manager/aspiring musician/numerologist, a young guy who was trying to find a more permanent place to live, and a kid who was visiting his mother to interview suitable Jewish girlfriends. They were a curious bunch to be sure. I will forever remember that it was diffcult to concentrate and hear the TV because one of them (I won't say which) ate raw spaghetti for dinner. CRUNCH. CRUNCH. CRUNCH.

Advertisement



18th March 2011

A Good Start
You're still a stone's throw from PA, and you already have a good story.
18th March 2011

Hostels
Following a 2-yr stint in South America ('67-'69), once spent the following 18 months hitchhiking and backpacking 1 1/2 times around the world in the early 70s. Stayed primarily in roadside camps and in many youthhostels. Good deal in NZ, Aurtralia, Japan, and most of Europe. Cheap lodging included shipside rooms in Yokohama and Oslo. Had sleeping bags & camping equipment with us. Slept under semi trucks in the Chilean Atacama desert and elsewhere. Lots of fascinating contacts ("transients" are OK) with excellent travel information and suggestions. You bring back great memories, Questmaster!!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.8kb