Nashville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
August 31st 2021
Published: August 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Nashville was named after American Revolutionary war hero Francis Nash.

Our tour started along Printer’s Alley. At the beginning of the 20th century, Printer’s Alley was home to a thriving publishing industry. The area was home to two large newspapers, ten print shops, and thirteen publishers. During Prohibition print shops ran a collection of bars that became the city’s not-so-secret secret bar scene.

We then moved to the part of Printers Alley District known in the late nineteenth century as the Men’s Quarter, named as a result of the many gambling parlors and saloons located there.

Any women who valued their reputation would not dare venture into this part of Printer’s Alley.

We heard about The Maxwell House Hotel (where Maxwell Coffee got it’s name) and the separate entrance that was established for ladies to enter and leave the hotel around the corner from the Men’s Quarter saloons.

In 1892, salesman Joel Owsley Cheek convinced the food buyer for Nashville’s prestigious Maxwell House hotel to offer patrons his unique coffee blend, which he’d perfected by roasting over his mother’s stove. The coffee was such a hit that the hotel’s manager let Cheek sell it under the
Maxwell House name.

The Country Music Hall of Fame’s architecture was so quirky, reflecting its musical contents. One end of the building features a radio antenna, and the tall narrow windows resembled a piano keyboard. Different size vinyl records and a drum also depicted in this unusual building. From the air, the building looks like a bass clef.

On the last tour with Aaron & Patrick a voyagers son stopped to say hello and today in Nashville the daughter of a voyager was able to say hi to her mom, much to A&P delight.

We were able to see some of the walk of fame plaques and hear lots of stories and information about this vibrant city. Music was playing everywhere creating a great atmosphere. You can understand why Nashville is known as the Music City.

The Nashville AT&T building is known locally as the “Batman Building” because its distinctive design resembles the comic book superhero's mask.

Our tour seemed to be over so quickly as we walked across John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge for great views over the Cumberland River.

https://www.heygo.com/aaronandpatrick


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement











Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb