CCMA - Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Winner
September 10th 2012
Published: September 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

IowaIowaIowa

Iowa
This blog is going to have to be brief, we want to get an early start so that we will have more time in the evening to relax and unwind



We left Omaha later than we usually do, around 10 am. It was a little cool with sunny skies – perfect motorcycle weather. There was virtually no traffic and nary a truck in sight. We rode up Interstate 29 to Sioux City to visit the Lewis & Clark National Historic site to get another stamp.



Only 48 more stamps and 24 more States to go.



We made our way over to Nebraska again and rode on Route 12 along the Missouri river for most of the afternoon. Truly, this was a ride that most people can only dream about.



The temperature was in the high 70’s with sunny skies. Rt. 12 is a well paved two lane highway that goes through gently rolling hills with wide gentle curves. The scenery was phenomenal, great expanses of farmland interspersed with small towns (small as in 30 or so houses and a store or two).



Rt. 12 is designated
A town on off rt 12A town on off rt 12A town on off rt 12

A town off Rt. 12
as one of America’s most scenic highways; it is easy to see why. There was literally no traffic; I don’t think we saw more than two dozen cars all afternoon.



All good things must come to an end, though. Late in the afternoon we realized that we were in the middle of nowhere and needed to find a town large enough to have a hotel. We left rt. 12 and headed north to South Dakota. We stopped to eat at a little café in Bonesteel, South Dakota so we could fire up the internet and find a motel. The nearest Holiday Inn Express was 54 miles north in Winner, South Dakota, which is where we spent the night.



Today’s ride will take us through the badlands, up to Sturgis & Deadwood, South Dakota, then down to Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument. The weather isn’t looking real promising, mid to high 90’s with lots of wind. Should make yesterday seem even better than it was, if that is even possible.



One thing I keep forgetting to mention – the drought. When we read about it at home I don’t think
Rt. 12Rt. 12Rt. 12

Rt. 12
we truly realize how bad it really is. When you see it firsthand, though you begin to appreciate how bad it is. We have seen thousands of acres of cornfields that are bone dry. It is truly a disaster.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

CornCorn
Corn

Corn field


10th September 2012

truckers
Hey, I hear you are busting on Bill cause he is a truck driver. Remember everything you own was transported by truck. Tell Bill hi for me and I hope you guys continue to have a great trip. Post some pics. Dianne
10th September 2012

That was a brief entry? Oh boy. You better be taking pictures!
10th September 2012

Great names
I love the names of these places: Bonesteel and Deadwood, they really conjure up images.... Keep 'em coming! Nancy
10th September 2012

Living history
So sad to hear about the drought devastation. You are truly experiencing history (sad history, but history just the same). Hope you enjoy Rushmore and Crazy Horse. I would love to see some pictures. Sounds like the adventure I thought it would be!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb