CCMA - Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Winner
September 10th 2012
Published: September 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Winner, South DakotaWinner, South DakotaWinner, South Dakota

Winner, South Dakota
We got a pretty early start; we were on the road by 8:30. We got gas in town and started up the road and got about 1/2 mile when we realized that it was entirely too windy to ride a motorcycle. So we turned around and went to Josies cafe for coffee where we spent about an hour commiserating with the locals. Turns out the big news here is the new ShopKo (like a mini Wal-Mart) just opened and is having their grand opening this coming Thursday. Before this store opened, people in Winner had to travel about 150 miles to get to a Kmart or Wal-Mart. We came back to the motel and will spend the day doing laundry and reading, relaxing, etc.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Winner, South DakotaWinner, South Dakota
Winner, South Dakota

Winner, South Dakota


10th September 2012

Even God took a day to rest!
Sorry to hear about the wind. Better safe than sorry. Hope you enjoy your down day!
10th September 2012

150 miles for Wal-Mart...Really
Funny reading this post, can't believe people driving 150 miles to go to Wal-Mart, the discount is consumed by gas to go and return...lol. Wind is a killer, hope the weather stays nice and the calms down. Keep sending pictures. Joe
11th September 2012

Good to hear you guys chose safety first! And, that you washed your clothes after 5 days (Ha!) Hope the wind dies down tmro so you can move forward to Mt. Rushmore!
11th September 2012

Bikes
I am interested in your bikes. What kind are you riding, and what equipment do you find useful? Any tips for packing light for a bike trip?
12th September 2012

bikes and packing
Hi, Rick here. I ride a Honda St1300abs, David's is a new Honda Goldwing nav/abs, and Bill rides a Harley Road Glide. Essential: all liners for riding gear(thermal and rain), top quality rain gear and gloves and waterproof boots or overboots. A small netbook has been essential for researching and booking rooms, posting pics and this blog. pack enough clothing for no more than 5-7 day and do laundry on the trip. CAMERAS with big memory cards, extra memory cards, power strips and extension cords to charge everything overnight. GPS absolutely essential, must have up to date mapping. paper maps because some times they are just easier to plan a route with. Zip lock bags to pack cords, chargers, meds (ibuprofen essential for first few days until the body adjusts to the riding miles). Research how to ride in crosswinds if you will be in the midwest. I did and the tips I learned were invaluable yesterday and a few days ago. Tire repairs kits (plugs and gummy worms) and a compact air compressor if you have the room is a very good idea. bike-to-bike radio comms are very handy...we use frs/gmrs radios. MUST wear earplug when riding distances at highway speeds, especially in high winds...hearing damage is permanent! Two great friends to share the incredible experience with and to help each other if the need arises. We have a SPOT gps tracker that our friends and family can access on the internet and track our location...every 10 minutes it's updated. Don't overpack, be efficient. I wear gortex lined boots so I don't need rain boots and my Gerbing heated gloves have waterproof linings so they are also my rain gloves. 12v outlets to charge phone and power air compressor has been very handy on my bike. Carry basic tools for minor repairs/adjustments and a good knife. Flashlight. Make sure the bike is fully up on maintenance...fresh tires, brake pads, oil and filter. Clothing and riding gear for everything from very hot to 30 degree temps. 102 two days ago, 34 this morning.
12th September 2012

Day 5
Looks kind of flat. Did they win the ShopKo? By the way, is there a Loser, South Dakota?

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb