Wind Cave National Park


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Before heading back to North Dakota, I decided to visit Wind Cave National Park. I have toured a few caves in my life, including Jewel Cave National Monument which is also located in the Black Hills, but hadn't ever stopped at the Wind Cave. It was a blistering hot day so I only wanted to do site seeing which involved cool places. So...a cave was the spot to be!

Wind Cave is a very unique type of cave. It does not have the dramatic stalagmites and stalactites that you expect in caves. If you're looking for that, then this Cave is probably not for you. However, if you've seen a few stalagmites and stalactites in your day and you're looking for some unique cave features, then Wind Cave is definitely worth a tour. It is famous, and thus given the National Park designation, because of its unique boxwork found throughout the Cave. Also, it's one of the largest cave systems in the world and still being explored so continues to grow.

A small natural opening was discovered by a couple guys back in the late 1800s. It's a very small opening and only a small person could fit through. This was how it was discovered.The guy squeezed in and realized that this was something worth exploring. The Cave got its name because of the sound of wind which could be heard coming from that first opening discovered. After that, they started giving tours until it was designated a National Park in the early 1900s. An artifical opening was created so that folks could more easily get in and tour. Since that time, other natural openings have been found but they are as small as a fist according to our guide. It's also a very dry cave which is why you don't have all the stalagmites and stalactites.

There are tours on the hour but they fill up fast. There are lots of caves in the Black Hills area so lots to choose from. This one's unique and I'm glad I spent the time. Can't say I've seen these features anywhere else.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Wind Cave OpeningWind Cave Opening
Wind Cave Opening

The largest natural opening into the Wind Cave. This was how it was discovered.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb