Philadelphia: America’s pride.


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Liberty BellLiberty BellLiberty Bell

Broken at the start - no tolls

CS:
Mon 16 March:
Having read a good deal about that part of American history that deals with the War of Independence and the Civil War, prior to our arrival, we were looking forward to our next port.
At 6am it was still dark as we approached our first mooring, the day brought weather that was fairly bright but overcast, with showers later and maximum temperate around 60F. We are scheduled to stay here all day unloading the heavy ship’s engine then leave around midnight to go the rest of the way up the Delaware River to Tioga. We are not permitted to go ashore from here for reasons that have not been explained. We are just inside the junction between Delaware River and Schuylkill River at Anker Ship Yard opposite Fort Mifflin. This is as far to the south of Philadelphia as Tioga is to the north, about 20k.
The next day we moored again and walked the short way to the gate where a man called us a cab. No security issues here at all (what a difference a few miles can make). The Hyatt Bellevue is in the middle of town, only a few blocks from city hall which is a magnificently ornate building with Benjamin Franklin standing proudly at the top, at least in effigy. We did some internetting then hit town, walking about: Liberty Bell, Independence Park and Penn’s Landing all seen on foot. Stopped for a bite of lunch then went to a museum near by. We booked a seafood restaurant near the Hyatt for dinner. We enjoyed great food, good wine and some fun chatting with the young waiter and encouraging him to complete his plans to travel to Australia.
Wednesday 18 March: we checked out and walked down to South Street. This area of Philadelphia feels a lot like our Brisbane West End or Sydney’s Newtown with small shops and boutiques, tattoo parlors and cafes of all persuasions liberally scattered on both sides of the narrow street. A late lunch in a genuine Greek Restaurant with authentic, fresh, home made Greek dips was a treat. The weather was lovely, sunny with no wind, and mostly warm. We passed by Washington Square and Declaration House on the way back. The ship will leave at midnight to commence the Atlantic crossing. The Captain thinks we will get some rough weather to start because there
G'dayG'dayG'day

CS greeting Irish immigrants
is a small low pressure system developing.

PP:
Away me Hearties!! These scurvy knaves from the “New World” (Ha!! They’re just a bunch of rebellious colonials - a good broadside from the “real” navy will sort them out!!?? Oh........??!! maybe not so easy as that, perhaps, might be a bit careful here??) turned out to be a bit officious at an “official” level, but all of the people we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

PP in Historical PhillyPP in Historical Philly
PP in Historical Philly

or maybe hysterical Philly??
Benjamin FranklinBenjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin

Still overseeing independance


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb