Cherry Blossom Festival ...in Philly


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Make myself available to enjoy cultural activities in the tri-states area. April weather is nice and why not joining others to check out the Cherry Blossom Festival activities being offered every year here in the city of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is home to some 2000 Japanese cherry trees (sakura), half of which were a gift from the Japanese government in 1926 in honor of the 150th anniversary of American independence, with the other half planted by the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia between 1998 and 2007. Within Fairmount Park in Philadelphia and along the Schuylkill river, in late March early April, it is a good time to take a stroll and enjoy the beauty of the flower.

In this year' event, on Monday, in the early evening, the second day of 2-weeks long event, taiko drum and Japanese dance are perfomed by students from Tamagawa University being staged in the city Hall courtyard. Colorful costumes and unique choreography of the traditional spring dance and taiko performance are shown.







Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb