July 23rd Girabaldi,OR to Crater Lake,OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 026july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 026july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 026

Looking for Sea Lions and Whales
July 23rd Girabaldi ,OR to Crater Lake,OR

We got up pretty early from our night by the docks and the mill to get on our way down the Oregon Coast. We stopped in a little town called Depoe Bay claiming to be the smallest harbor in the world. There wer people everywhere. Trying to find a place to park, we scraped the heck out of the tray on the back of the RV that carries the scooter. We finally found a place and walke down to the wall that looks out onto the ocean. What a treat! We say whales!!! They would come out of the water blowing water out of their blow holes. Pretty spectacular.

We moved on down the coast and stopped at the Sea Lion Caves. What an unbelivable sight! The only underground cave of it's kind anywhere. You get in an elevator and go down 300 ft. You come out in this dark room that stinks to high heaven. You look thru this fence down into a real cave that comes in from the ocean. It was full of sea lins. I mean like hundreds of them. They were all barking and moving around. They were practically lying on top of each other and went up like 3 stories high out of the water. It is hard to descriibe it was so unusual. Definitely an opportunity to see these creatures in natural settings. It was hard to get pictures because you weren't able to use your flash but I bought postcards!

We then went back up the elevator and over to another lookout. When you looked down below you to the rocks on the coast there were again a ton of sea lions just hanging out on the rocks sunning, barking and in the water swimming and playing. Wow!

THE BIG MISTAKE!
We headed out and made our way inland to Crater Lake. WE put the name of the town not the park in the GPS. well apparently we missed it when the GPS told us we turned too soon so we continued on our merry way. We ended up on a dirt road going up a mountain in the middle of some national forest land. we finally figured out that maybe this wasn't the correct way after we were about 6 miles up the mountain and it was getting dark. We did finally decide to turn around and had to go down the steep dirt road we just came up. We kept our cool and didn't even get mad at each other!

We finally made it to Crater Lake Natinal Park at 11pm. It was supposed to take us 4 hours and it took us 7 1/2 hours!!! We had reservations at the park campground. Of course there was no one there when we arrived. WE looked on teh board where they posted late arrivals and where your campsight was. Well, we were not up there! So we made a wise decision. We parked the RV and went to sleep right there in teh parking lot. Next morning we got our money back! What a day this was!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 036july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 036
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 036

Depoe Bay looking for whales
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 039july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 039
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 039

There's another one!
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 044july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 044
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 044

crashing on the rocks
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 056july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 056
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 056

hard to see but hundreds of sea lions
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 073july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 073
july 25 thru cloverdale,ca 073

sea lions sunning and playing
july 24 to clloverdale-phil 011july 24 to clloverdale-phil 011
july 24 to clloverdale-phil 011

by the Sea Lion Caves


26th July 2009

Pacific Ocean, eh? That is pretty cool. We are in Palm Coast, FL right now on a quick 3 day vacation. I will tell you about it next time we talk. I just got internet service at the resort so we wanted to check out what has been going on with you crazy people. Sounds like you are still having a blast- again, we cant tell you how happy we are for you. Tara and I keep talking about how we hope that someday we would love to do what yall are doing. Have fun, we love you. Scott and Tara
27th July 2009

Glad to hear you guys got a weekend away. I hope to see the Gulf of Mexico but not sure if we will make it there. we love you!

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb